Need some temporary tank space or advice

pkaugusta

Market
Reaction score
I am planning to buy some live rock from a member. It has some corrals attached to it. Unfortunately my tank is not cycled yet. it will take some time to cycle it after fixing the sump and the protein skimmer. I was wondering if there is someone willing to keep them for me for a short period. I hate to kill the corrals by putting them in a non cycled tank. Any suggestions ?

bgcoop8784;963603 wrote: rubbermaid container with heater and lights... Or ask the member if he can hold the rocks for a little while if you go ahead and pay, most of the people on here are willing to work with ya unless they are breaking down a tank or something.

+1

I've wondered about this... What would be the difference between an uncycled tank and a new Rubbermaid bin? What keeps the latter from cycling?

The cycle starts because of an ammonia source. If there is no die off from the live rock then you should be good.

Ok so corrals will survive if I had the light and rubbermaid?.yeah he is getting rid of the tank.

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk

Am I missing something? If you are putting live rock in that has corals on it, the live rock is....well live. Therefore it would be able to handle any waste products produced by the corals. With no other livestock you would have no ammonia present except that which the corals produce. Also, your tank is cycled the minute the live rock goes in.

That doesn't mean you can add a ton of fish immediately though.

Cycling means that there is enough living bacteria present to manage the by products of living creatures in the tank. As long as any increase is very slow, the bacteria will catch up.

I know you all think I have no heart but now I have an ultrasound to prove it. :)

rdnelson99;963643 wrote: Am I missing something? If you are putting live rock in that has corals on it, the live rock is....well live. Therefore it would be able to handle any waste products produced by the corals. With no other livestock you would have no ammonia present except that which the corals produce. Also, your tank is cycled the minute the live rock goes in.

That doesn't mean you can add a ton of fish immediately though.

Cycling means that there is enough living bacteria present to manage the by products of living creatures in the tank. As long as any increase is very slow, the bacteria will catch up.

I know you all think I have no heart but now I have an ultrasound to prove it. :)

+1 as long as you are not adding any source of ammonia, like a table shrimp to speed up the process than you should be fine with putting the rock straight into your tank.

Bgcoop8784;963644 wrote: I was under the assumption, i know assumptions are dangerous, that this was just a couple pieces of rock with corals that was going to be added to a tank that's already cycling.

But if there is no other livestock in the tank the live rock should handle the waste provided by the corals. In addition, it would give an ammonia source to encourage the remaining sand and/or rock to populate with beneficial bacteria.

Bgcoop8784;963649 wrote: Depends, I've added "live" sand to a tank and seen an ammonia spike in a new tank seeing how what was live at one time didn't like being bagged up apparently, and also added live rock to a bare tank that caused the same thing because there was more dead stuff on the rocks than live bacteria to handle it. If the OP hasn't already started cycling a tank, or added anything that would cause a rise in ammonia then just adding the rock to the tank should work just fine.

I agree with the sand. Which is why I don't waste money on live sand. LOL. But if the rock is left out long enough to kill much bacteria I would guess the corals would be toast already.

Back