Need tank - glass shops in ATL?

sidreef

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm new so no flaming :)

I need a 72*24*30 glass tank with custom overflow. Do you know of any experienced glass shops in ATL that make aquariums?

I'm new to ATL so looking to make some reef friends too!

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk

MRC builds custom, quality tanks, they are located in Lawrenceville. PM Skriz (he is a mod on this forum). If you are looking to save a couple bucks though, going to be cheaper to just buy a 210-220 and add a custom overflow most likely.

Thanks ghbrewer, will compare. Appreciate you responding!

Yeah, np. If you are not familiar with MRC, it is short for My Reef Creations. They are very well known in the hobby, as well as a premier provider of commercial aquarium stuff. Great company that does awesome work.

Cool, did not know. Will check them out. I want to build out a softie tank. I'll start a thread on the build to get any advice.

30" is a tall tank, so you need to think about lighting and what you want to do on that end. Most reefers do not run any taller than 24-26" b/c you end up having to get much more powerful lights in order to penetrate that extra depth. For a softy tank though, not really as big of an issue. If you end up ever wanting to grow acros though, that is another story.

You got it, one of the reasons going with softies! I grew up close to a beach with softies so it's a sentimental thing too.

Nice! I have seen some beautiful softy tanks. When done right, they are really fun to watch.

Sid I'm actually in process of finding a 180g as well...cost for top end is about 2.2k and as low as $900 for a standard non reef ready tank

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Thanks Kurt. Does glasscages.com produce quality tanks?

Welcome to ARC, Sidreef.

You've had good advice here so far.

Glass Cages gets mixed reviews. I guess it depends on your standards. Personally, I don't care for any of their work that I've seen.

You won't likely find a 'glass shop' to build a tank for you - they do not want the liability. MRC is a local manufacturer and that's their specialty so that's a good starting point.

You might want to check out Aqueon or Marineland tanks. That is a standard size for them although the custom overflows may not be available, standard ones are.

If you modify any mass-produced tank, it voids any warranty.

Hope this info is helpful!

Jenn

Hi Sidreef, welcome to Atlanta! Recently I was looking for an 8 foot long tank for a new build, so i was checking out custom builders. On the big forums, the biggest complaint I could find about Glasscages was sloppy looking silicone work. I also got a quote from customaquariums.com. They look to have some nice standard features and the price point was very competitive! They have their own unique overflow system and they would also pre-drill for a synergy overflow, etc. I can't really speak to the build quality of the tank because I ended up buying a used 7ft tank from another ARC member. Just wanted to share what I found while shopping around. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

JennM;1082921 wrote: Welcome to ARC, Sidreef.

You've had good advice here so far.

Glass Cages gets mixed reviews. I guess it depends on your standards. Personally, I don't care for any of their work that I've seen.

You won't likely find a 'glass shop' to build a tank for you - they do not want the liability. MRC is a local manufacturer and that's their specialty so that's a good starting point.

You might want to check out Aqueon or Marineland tanks. That is a standard size for them although the custom overflows may not be available, standard ones are.

If you modify any mass-produced tank, it voids any warranty.

Hope this info is helpful!

Jenn

Jenn, thanks a million! Very helpful.

Brian, thanks for the heads up. I will contact customaquariums to see cost of overflow etc. Thanks!

Back