Need to borrow a used 250 MH bulb

porpoiseaquatics

Market
Reaction score
Here's what I'm doing. I purchased two MH ballasts that were supposed to be 110v in and power a 400w MH. I wired them up and they didn't fire the bulb so I measured the outgoing voltage....turns out to be around 225vac. My guess is....that's not enough to fire a 400w bulb but it may fire a 250w so I want to test that theory. I need any old, mogul based 250w bulb. Hopefully somebody near me has one laying around they haven't thrown out yet.

If anybody has any other ideas, that would be great as well. None of the wiring is marked nor is the ballast as to what size it is. These were used ballasts taken out of a store remodel. Luckily, I don't have any money in them.

Thanks guys but after more exploration, I figured out the issue. I'm not used to having mogul sockets that have a "retention spring" in them. The spring was not releasing allowing the bulbs to make full contact. Once I got the springs loose....they fired up just fine. Now I can get busy completing my 878 watt canopy (2 x 400w 20k MH plus 2 x 39w T-5 actinics)! I think that should be enough light.

Back