Needs suggestions for a friend

chemically_balanced

Market
Reaction score
A friend of mine was lucky, or unlucky, enough to acquire a 90 bowfront tank that probably in it's prime was very nice. Specs below:

90 Bow Front
Dual 250 or 400w Halide with CF actinic
1/10 HP Chiller
Apex Controller
Some sort of injection skimmer
Calcium reactor
100 or more # of LR
Yellow Tang
Ocellaris Clown Pair
Target Dragnet
PJ Cardinal

The problem is this:
2014-04-09183645.jpg
alt="" /></a>

No that's not all Star Polyp:

It's this stuff
2014-04-09182454.jpg
alt="" /></a>
2014-04-09182435.jpg
alt="" /></a>
2014-04-09173829.jpg
alt="" /></a>

Topping of all that there is a really bad flat worm problem.

I hated to break the news to them about the issues with the tank and I believe the news was taken quite hard. My suggestion was to remove all the rock, sell what they could of the two large SPS corals and large RBTA and bleach the rock. To someone that just started in the hobby that's a ton of work. I told them I would help but since they own a Mobile Car Detailing business and a Landscaping business they are really busy this time of year.

My suggestion to them are the following:

1. Sell the Halide fixture, Calcium reactor, and APEX.

2. Pull the rock and bleach it.

3. Pull the sand and get rid of it.

Run the tank with freshwater and vinegar for a couple days to get rid of anything lingering.

With the money made from the sale of the equipment buy some live rock and some fresh sand.

What they want is a low maintenance good looking saltwater tank. They showed me some pictures of a couple angle fish they like. I was thinking get them set-up with a FOWLR tank. They do currently have a planted freshwater tank so they are not totally new to the aquarium hobby.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Wow...I think your advice is sound if the are wanting to go the FOWLR route.

I believe they are. I've never seen a tank that had this many and this big though. If anyone else has any thoughts please chime in.

If they want a FO tank just throw some copper bands in there.

Do peps eat manejo also? If so he could get a small army in there heh and never feed them again

I would not get rid of the apex because eventually most people ending wanting/getting a controller. It makes life a lot easier.

Rodasphoto;948586 wrote: I would not get rid of the apex because eventually most people ending wanting/getting a controller. It makes life a lot easier.

+1, but I am still interested if he does decide :)

there's a lot to be said for old live rock, I would hate for your friends that are really busy to go through all the stuff a new tank goes through when a raccoon will devastate them in probably couple months.

and the raccoon will also make it a fish only system soon enough...... because he will eat every coral in there...lol

jontwhale;948740 wrote: Don't use copper, instead pick up some Worm Krush by Subquaria. Just a small pinch can treat 75 gallon tank.

Wrong thread

I think I have changed thoughts on what needs to be done.

How does everyone agree with getting rid of Half the LR and all the sand and introduction a raccoon?

Still will be posting a thread to get rid of the equipment they don't need for a softie tank. Along with getting rid of the heat the equipment the equipment they have not produces.

Colonial Anemonia mojanos.

Almost pretty... but a huge nuisance.

Your friend bought somebody else's neglected problems.

I'd 86 the rock and sand, strip the tank and start again. Corals would need to be dipped and quarantined for signs of recurring flatworm infestation.

Yeah - he got a bad deal since he's got to correct the problems before he can move forward.

Jenn

Back