Nem question

Not that I'm aware of. They all seem to get along. They always intermingle with each other.
So I've seen this happen on a few occasions... It could be from allelopathy, infection, or sodium tripolyphosphate poisoning. Hard to say which it is frankly.

Sodium tripolyphosphate (STPP) is an interesting suggestion especially when you consider that @ZapataInc has recently made his own fish food. As I understand it, seafood is sometimes coated in the stuff to keep it looking better and it could have been introduced on some of the ingredients in the homemade fish food, perhaps? The llittel bit of digging I did seems to point to store bought shrimp as a common source for the stuff.

That being said, would carbon remove it or would a phosphate specific media be better?

Yah, sodium tripolyphosphate is a very common addition to seafood as it makes them soak up water... looking plumper, fresher, and more importantly for sellers... heavier. I've personally seen issues with certain lps and nems when being fed seafoods that have this in them.

Back