Nems have minds of their own

catgirl29

Market
Reaction score
I've heard about anemones going walkabout in the tank. Mine has decided that it is a shrinking violet and needs the security of the rock stack. I have even moved a top rock in case it needed more light. It just recedes further into the stack but it does expand and I can see it. It looks very healthy (I think it's beautiful - has great color) and it eats when I feed it. Seems pretty happy, actually. I am just annoyed that I can't have it out in plain view. I know there's nothing I can do. Just venting.

nem_rock_zpscfzsexyl.jpg
alt="" />

nem_rock_2_zpsukqjw5hl.jpg
alt="" />

(Benny the Blenny wanted in on the picture.)

It is beautiful, I'd want to vent too!

Nem's do like to have their foot inside a crevice. What I did to try to make my Nem happy and stay put was bought a special rock for it. I found a rock that had a (curved hole) about 2" hole in a 12" Rock. The hole allowed the nem to move into less flow & light when it wanted to...
Nem never moved from that rock no matter where I moved the rock to. I tried my hardest to make it miserable and come off the rock but no go!
I had to hang the rock upside down over a bucket for hours (with no water) to get it to release.

Point being, if you can find a rock that it can get its foot into and be happily secure, you should be able to move it where you can enjoy it.
It may have found its rock right where it is now. If you can get to it, you could move it rock and all. It may have just needed the right hole for its foot.
GL

If this makes you feel any better, my carpet walked around and stung and killed some nice sps I have and they it went all the way up to the powerhead and got stuck in there. When I pulled it out, half of it is severely damaged. I think as long as it stays in 1 place and does not walk around, you are much better off then if it does. I know not being able to see it open up in full view sucks but it's still the better alternative of the 2.

I also purchased a special rock for my bta that has a lot of crevices. I put it in one of the crevices where it buried its foot and has never moved since. It gets higher light and flow but still stays put. The only downside was it use to open up a lot more but a couple months ago it buried itself down deeper in the crevice

I'm thinking about getting a nem but I have never been able to get one to stick. My tank was less mature than it is now. Any tricks on introducing them into your tank besides finding a nice crevice?

Nickh06;1051277 wrote: I'm thinking about getting a nem but I have never been able to get one to stick. My tank was less mature than it is now. Any tricks on introducing them into your tank besides finding a nice crevice?

I have several nems and I usually put a basket or little critter box with holes drilled in the sides and I use a cheap magnet used for cleaning glass to hold it to the side of the tank and stick a couple good rocks in there and give it a few days to get attached to a rock and settle down then put it in s good spot. They will and can move but most of the time they hang tight and stay .
Good luck

Back