Nems

kstyle13

Market
Reaction score
Ok so i rescued a bubble tip nem from Noah's arc here locally. Anyone who lives in this area knows about them... overpriced and basically riddled with apstasia. Well when I went in someone has given them a bubble tip of unknown color. I say that because the poor fella I'd completely bleached out and barely has any tentacles. Just small bubbles or bulbs rather. I've got him in an isolated hang on tank inside my main display. So far he's doing good. He has eaten and he has.moved to the highest point on the small rock I placed in the chamber with him.

Now I also wanted to know if anyone has had experience keeping a long tentacle nem as a host for clowns? The guy said they are know fish eaters but so are condis and I have not had any issues thus far... (not saying I won't just saying none this far.) But would a long tentacle be a good host for my clowns or should I get a carpet? I love btas but I want something a little different this time. I have 2 175 metal halides over a 46 bowfront (to be set up tomorrow) and I have 2 14 watt blue led panels as accents. My corals are responding very well to the lighting as is the condi, curly q, minimaxi, and now bta of unknown origin... so would I be ok with a regular sized carpet? I have no issues moving them to my 125 when they outgrow the 46 bowfront but for now I like the design. I am also thinking of building a 76 gallon true hexagon and making clown/nem specific tank. Probably maroon lightnings with a green carpet nem.

Any thoughts on the carpet nems? Or should I stick to btas. And long tentacle? Yay or nay

I have a couple of LTA's and my clowns love then. Look up what Nem you species of clowns host in the wild.

From what I've read magnificent and carpets are what host ocellaris in the wild but in captivity ocellaris will host the bubble tips, long tentacle and even corals. I had a Saddleback that hosted a condi until a heater went out and fried everything in the tank. But that was last year's news. :-( the guy at the lfs said it was bad news to even try it and everything I read said it was ok. So I'm wondering what everyone here thinks. I'm gonna try to hit blue planet and reef shack tomorrow on my way home from picking up this 46 bowfront. I'm hoping to get a carpet nem. But if I can't find one reasonably priced I will look at btas. Possibly the lta depending on everyone's experience. ..

Well, if you want a carpet, currently the best I have seen in the area. Aviarium... They currently have 2 HOT red carpets!!!! BTA's probably everywhere. Blue Planet almost always has LTA's and BTA's but hardley ever Carpets. Hit up Tater here on the forum. He has the Carpets.

LTA would be your best choice. They are definelty not fish eaters and are the easiest to take care of out of a carpet (gig) and a mag. Carpets are usually easy to take care of but If they get sick you have to put them in qt and treat with cipro.

Just FYI, clowns do not host anemones. Anemones, however, may host clownfish. :)

noahs arc is soooo baddddddd. I wish we had nice stuff near us.

For the record, The initialism or alphabetism LTA stands for Long Tentacle Anemone. BTA is Bubble Tip Anemone. There seems to be confusion and names being used like their one and the same and interchangeable.

Fair warning, the anemones you are after are very delicate and require an advanced aquarists with a very stable mature tank. LTA while probably the hardiest out of the three you are after are still no picnics. Be careful though in your selection, the Ritteri Magnificent anemone occasional looks like a LTA but is not and subsequently very difficult to keep. Out of the carpets the only one I'd recommend is the Haddoni (Aviarium had one healthy one the other day). Haddoni's are very adapt at catching and killing aquarium inhabitants, more so than any of the others. Consider yourself warned but keep in mind all anemones have the ability and will if the opportunity presents itself. Just some are more efficient catching machines than the others. The Gigantea is much to difficult to keep so I wouldn't even consider it if I were you.

To piggyback off of what Jesse said, your tank should be running for 6 months to allow for stabilization...1 year is even better. If you are going to be putting a lionfish in this tank like indicated in another thread, the chance that the carpet will eat the lionfish is high because lionfish like to perch vs actively swim.

I will probably go with the lta then. I've had success with my bubbles, condis, crlurlyq, and maxi mini. However my first bubble didn't surprise a heater malfunction I had a while back. Everyone else did though. And the lionfish from a different thread isn't going in with the nems. Whole separate tank completely

I put a large carpet, about 10-12" with a mated pair of large Saddlebacks in my tank. Within a month, it had eaten a 4" bi color angel, 6" watchmen goby, 5" sailfin goby, and as of last week, my naso tang. I think it got my banded shrimp as well. They are deadly, be ready to loose all your bottom dwelling fish if you get one.

Back