New 2 saltwater and bought old tank ??

mauiman

Reaction score
Hey just got into the saltwater game I have thought about it for years so I picked up a 90 gallon corner tank and the filter sock assembly is forming like crazy trying to figure out the problem and to get the clarity a little better The water is tested out clean and there are fish in there in the cold from the old tank has a little green hair algae on it but I cleaned most of it off The pump just seems kind of noisy in the filtering system seems OK but I don't know if it's adequate she used it for a few years without issues. Here is a picture of the filter system and the tank
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

I don't see a skimmer, the foam is proteins in the water that would be taken out with a skimmer. You could try to reduce the amount of splash happening in that sock, but you will need to invest in a skimmer eventually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you and There is no skimmer :) didn't know I needed one until you said it the sock foams like crazy does the skimmer go in the middle tank or is it stand alone I have looked at a few and they look stand alone outside the filter tank

It would go in the sump, there should be an area where the water level stays the same, that's where it goes.

Well got a skimmer a couple weeks ago and dialed it in the foam issues are gone and tank looks good the trumpet coral that I thought all died a lot of it came back I'm going to try doe corals this week now that tank has been working solid for over a month any ideas for coral ????

With this being your first tank, I would steer clear of the harder to keep corals (SPS) and focus on softies. Zoanthids, Mushrooms, Euphyllia, Leathers etc...

I would personally avoid some of the "pest" corals: gsp, button polyps, xenia, anthellae(sp?). Your choice of course!

It's good to hear that your tank is doing better. Buy cheap coral, losing big expensive colonies sucks, plus there's a lot of fun in watching them grow.

Back