New 85w T-5 Bulbs?

gadawg

Market
Reaction score
Has anybody seen these? Are they any good?

NavResults.cfm

never seen them. looks cool. on another note has anyone ever heard of vho t5s? i saw an ad for them once in a magazine, but im not sure from which supplier. they specifically said we had t5HO and t5VHO bulbs. maybe thats what these lights are?
nishant

I'm not sure which fixture you wanted to use these on, but I actually called and talked to Dr. F&S tech support on the issue.

I wanted to use the 85watt t-5's in my Nova fixture. They told me that with the fixture, they did not recommend jumping up from my 54 watt bulbs to something that high. Doing so, they said could result in bulb failure or something like high heat and melted connections or fire.

Do some research before you buy them and see what you can do to make them work.

O.K., thanks for the tip. When i get my retro i will call them to see what they recommend. Do you know if they are coming out with an 85w actinic?

GaDawg;40984 wrote: O.K., thanks for the tip. When i get my retro i will call them to see what they recommend. Do you know if they are coming out with an 85w actinic?

Their site is actually really weird. Some of the things their site lists are either different from the catalog or simply aren't on the site. They do currently have an 85 watt actinic but I couldn't find it on the site. A friend of mine did tell me they had one in the catalog however.

Dunno where the foster/smith people get their info from, but from my understanding they will work just fine in any fixture. Of course you're only going to get 54 watts out of them with your finnex fixture or any other standard ballast. You're only going to get the 85 watts from them if you're overdriving with icecaps.

FutureInterest;41000 wrote: Dunno where the foster/smith people get their info from, but from my understanding they will work just fine in any fixture. Of course you're only going to get 54 watts out of them with your finnex fixture or any other standard ballast. You're only going to get the 85 watts from them if you're overdriving with icecaps.

I was actually wondering the same which is why I talked to the techs not just the customer service reps. The woman I spoke to actually asked the question to all the techs on the floor that night and that was the reaction from all of them.

She did say that the probability was that the bulb just simply would not work.

SJ Miller Guy;41018 wrote: I was actually wondering the same which is why I talked to the techs not just the customer service reps. The woman I spoke to actually asked the question to all the techs on the floor that night and that was the reaction from all of them.

She did say that the probability was that the bulb just simply would not work.

"Probability" is too weak an endorsement from tech guys... That means either there is a discrepency in opinion amongst them or they just don't know and are guessing. The latter is probably the case here, but that's just a guess too.

http://www.customaquatic.com/customaquatic/brandsubcategory.asp?brandID=UR&subcatID=lt-t5">http://www.customaquatic.com/customaquatic/brandsubcategory.asp?brandID=UR&subcatID=lt-t5</a>

Just did a quick google search and came up with that. I'm not bothering to dig up the other threads I've read about. I think they were on RC though.

So what do you guys suggest on getting these new bulbs? I would really like to use them b/c of the different wattage amount. 54w to 85w is a big differance when you are using 6 bulbs.

so basically these bulbs are made to be overdriven.. try them out i say, let us know how they go. it would be interesting to see the par difference as there doesnt seem to be much information on the net about them

Back