New and Excited!!!

geno

Market
Reaction score
<span style="font-family: Georgia;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">I just purchased a 125g reef ready tank and stand for a FOWLR setup. It's been over 25 years since I touched an aquarium so I will need a lot of advice.</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Georgia;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Georgia;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">I'm going very slowly, doing a bunch of reading and trying to understand how the whole system fits together. I think I have my list of equipment needs identified -- but I know nothing about brand quality and value.</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Georgia;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Georgia;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">My next purchases will likely be the wet/dry filter and skimmer. Getting the proper size is also an issue that I will need direction on. For example, I'm thinking of the MegaFlow Model 4 wet/dry fileter and the AquaC 180 skimmer. Hope I have those model numbers right. If you have any thoughts or recommendations -- I would welcome them.:tongue: </span></span>
<span style="font-family: Georgia;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">-geno</span></span>

Personally, I think you started back with too big of a tank...

We should trade- 90 for your 125!

Just kidding- welcome to the club!!

Welcome to the club. Can't be much help with your equipment choices but I am sure someone will chime in and help. Hope to meet you at the meeting next week.

Glad to have you aboard.

Probably best to ditch the wet dry and just use a normal sump. Popular mid-level skimmers these days for the budget minded are Octopus and Octopus Premium and DAS for those with money BubbleKing, Deltec, Tunze Master and EuroReef are tops. The new SWC Xtreme skimmer is showing a lot of promise and will be available soon.

Welcome to the boards! If you come to the meeting, please introduce yourself. There will be guest nametags available at the sign-in table, and I hope you'll use one so we'll all know who you are and can all welcome you properly!

I'll have a nametag on with this funky avatar. Other officers will be similarily recognizable. Let one of us know if there's anything we can do.

I was very pleased with the warm welcome each of you extended. I REALLY want to attend the January meeting -- but I have a conflict that I can't change. :yuk:

I'll stay plugged in to the board as ya'll share ideas and questions with one another -- that will surely present a great learning opportunity.

Cameron: Why did you suggest I drop the wet/dry filter and just do a sump? Since I'm new at this -- I need rationale for learning purposes.

Thanks to all,
-geno

Wet/Dry filters aren't really used much anymore. The books still list them, but they have kinda gone the way of the dinosaur as live rock generally provides ample filtration and any extra space you have can be used as a refugium. Natural filtration really can't be beat these days. It is easy enough to either build your own sump with baffles and fuge or you can always buy one.

I am planning to put in LR -- perhaps with the money I save on the wet/dry filter I can buy all the LR I'm supposed to buy; i.e. about 1.5 pounds per gallon? I was going to try and get by with about 1/2 the recommendation since the stuff is so darn expensive. I've been visiting the Optimum Aquarium store in Marietta mostly.

I noticed you live in Alpharetta as well -- perhaps I could visit at some convenient time and you could provide some real hands-on experience for me.

-geno

you could go to sals(horseziggy) hosue and get lr for really cheap and see his tank.

I've seen posts by horseziggy -- but I'm way too new to have any idea who this is or where they live.

I would love to see some home set ups up close and personal. I've seen some in the stores -- but they tend to have things all tied together -- not stand alone like the setup I am building. It would help me get a better understanding of how to link things together.

-geno

You're more than welcome to stop by and see my new set up. That applies to anyone else who'd like to come by too. I have a 210 with a closed loop and then a sump room in the basement. Makes it real easy to see how it all can fit together. I also have a pretty cool canopy lift system I'm dying to show off. I don't pretend to be the most knowledgeable but I can give you a few tips. You probably pass by my house going to Optimum. PM me and let me know the next time you're going by and I'll give you my #.

ejorg2;116469 wrote: I have a 210 with a closed loop and then a sump room in the basement. Makes it real easy to see how it all can fit together. I also have a pretty cool canopy lift system I'm dying to show off.

Hmmmm... possible candidate for Tank of the Month or Tour of Tanks?

:D

Not a whole lot to see as far as corals and such 'cause it so new, but I'd be open to showing what I got. I'll see if I can get some pic's posted. Sorry for hijacking thread.

Back