New anemone death record

jgeorge06

Market
Reaction score
So, my wife and I just woke up to find our tank cloudy and our new BTA gone AWOL. Now, to set up the story... My wife and I were out and about yesterday, and went to Nemo (great store and awesome folks btw) and bought our first bubble tip. We got it home, temp acclimated for a half hour, drip acclimated for an hour and put it in the tank. We did like we were told and turned the powerhead off for a couple of hours, and when we went to bed we turned them back on. Now, this morning at 6:45 (because thankfully my wife can't sleep in), she wakes me up to tell me the tank is cloudy, anemone is gone and she doesn't see the fish. Thankfully, all fish are accounted for, but this is what we're dealing with now:
1cdc5970aea91af2fa413e7f4051d117.jpg
alt="" />
116baaec699cd1a8ff12eee00da38578.jpg
alt="" />
b018c3810d040ce6a78deaac5ba65b6f.jpg
alt="" />

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We know the answer is aggressive water changes and we've already done one with the extra water we had on hand ready.

The tank is 29G which means probably 22G of water (dorks that we are counted it when we set it up). So my question is, how much is too much to change? We did a quick 5G ish as soon as we found it and we're thinking about doing another 5 in a few hours when places open and maybe another 10 this evening but then I realized that is almost the volume is the tank. Is that too aggressive? What level makes aggressive, what is too much?

Sorry to here that, anemones can be tough to keep. Start by doing a large water change, and adding carbon

mag327;1044426 wrote: We know the answer is aggressive water changes and we've already done one with the extra water we had on hand ready.

The tank is 29G which means probably 22G of water (dorks that we are counted it when we set it up). So my question is, how much is too much to change? We did a quick 5G ish as soon as we found it and we're thinking about doing another 5 in a few hours when places open and maybe another 10 this evening but then I realized that is almost the volume is the tank. Is that too aggressive? What level makes aggressive, what is too much?

I'd say 50% is a good place to start.

And, what can we do to prevent this from happening again in the future?

jgeorge06;1044429 wrote: Would 75% WC be too much?

It would probably be fine if you did 75%
Not sure on how to prevent it from getting in a filter like that, maybe others can chime in to better help

Sorry for your loss. You might be able to get a sponge for an Aquaclear filter and drill out the center to slide over the uptake tube. An easier solution might be pantyhose and a rubber band. Either solution may not be pleasing to the eye but it will stop another anemone from getting up there.

I think the pantyhose idea might work for us for now...we're moving everyone to a bigger tank within a week anyway (from a 29 to a 40). So once that is done, we will go back to Nemo and get another anemone

I would do 20% water changes over several days so you don't shock your system too much. I would run carbon as well.

jgeorge06;1044429 wrote: Would 75% WC be too much?

75-100% is just fine.

Think about it this way: if you're in a pool of rancid water, do you want it changed out 20% at a time? When the water is toxic, it's better to make it non toxic quickly. Try to keep ph, salinity, and temp close to what it was originally. With the critical parameters matched, there's nothing else magical left in the water that would prevent or restrict you from changing it all out.

Back