New Basement Frag System

lsu_fishfan

Market
Reaction score
Here are some pics of my new frag system. The main display is about 40 gallons, and the IBC sump has a 250 gallon capacity. The total water volume once everything is stable should be about 160 gallons.
The display is 28.5in. x 26.5in. and 12 inches tall
I'm using the Jebao DCT 8000 return pump, and am very impressed at how powerful theses pumps are.
I will be installing a Reef Octopus classic 200-int, and will be building a platform for it to sit on. In the ibc.

The light is the new AI hydra 26 HD. The light is great, and very easily controlled through the AI app. It's very bright, and I believe can easily support sps corals.

Haven't decided which power heads I will be using in this tank yet, but am debating between sicce and Jebao.

Here are a few pics, let me know what you think

image.jpg5_zpsvi1h8fdu.jpg
alt="" /></a>
image.jpg1_zpszxzhymyt.jpg
alt="" /></a>
image.jpg3_zpsz3gvaff0.jpg
alt="" /></a>
image.jpg4_zpsnlrdgu45.jpg
alt="" /></a>

JBDreefs;1070040 wrote: Looks great Luke! What are your plans for biological filtration?

Thanks John, I will be adding MarinePure Biomedia to the system

Urbanknight;1070050 wrote: Holy big vat of water Batman! That's sweet Luke!

Haha thanks Doug, hopefully it will be ready with some frags for sale in the next few months ;)

LSU_fishFan;1070041 wrote: Thanks John, I will be adding MarinePure Biomedia to the system

sweet frag system and MarinePure Biomedia is great choice. I love my two 8x8x4 blocks

Nice work! Love the way you designed the drains. One full siphon on a gate valve and the other picks up the remaining water?

taylormedic;1070159 wrote: Nice work! Love the way you designed the drains. One full siphon on a gate valve and the other picks up the remaining water?

Yes, the drain with the tee is a full siphon, and the 2nd drain in an emergency drain, if the full siphon ever clogs.

Pretty smart idea to use the IBC for the sump: relatively cheap, huge increase in total water volume, and doesn't have to be pretty sitting in the basement.

Got the MarinePure block in today, will post some pics when I have it installed.

Has anyone ever built a skimmer stand before? Looking for ideas on how to build one to raise the skimmer to the right height in the IBC

image.jpg1_zps11aljpfc.jpg
alt="" /></a>

Got the block installed
image.jpg1_zpsz4g8afmk.jpg
alt="" /></a>

While installing the bio filter, I had the idea of trying out an old t5 fixture I had.
image.jpg3_zpsh3qjf04i.jpg
alt="" /></a>
image.jpg2_zpspkaocxjn.jpg
alt="" /></a>
The fixture fit perfectly over the IBC. My thoughts are that I could use the extra space to grow out corals to frag :)

Urbanknight;1070050 wrote: Holy big vat of water Batman! That's sweet Luke!

You won't believe me, but that's exactly what I was thinking! Then.......we have some of those at work...............love this addiction........I mean hobby.

Nice set up! Looking forward to the skimmer stand build.

Shrimpy Brains;1070705 wrote: You won't believe me, but that's exactly what I was thinking! Then.......we have some of those at work...............love this addiction........I mean hobby.

Nice set up! Looking forward to the skimmer stand build.

haha
I agree, it's to hard to have just one tank in this "hobby"!
:)

nice!

Love the pipe (orange or red?).. might have to steal that for the store! :eek:)

1mbrews8;1070730 wrote: nice!

Love the pipe (orange or red?).. might have to steal that for the store! :eek:)

Red.

Haven't seen any updates on the store. I'll come visit when your open. :)

Back