New build advice

bberman

Market
Reaction score
Hey fellow Arc members I wanted to get some opinions on a new build I am doing. I am very new to the hobby.

I am doing a 190 gal tank and need to pick out some of my hardware. The tank is going to mostly be an fowlr but I will prob put a very few small frags in the tank for a little color.

I have a new apex system on order and have 4 AI hydra 26 hd already. I am going to use the vectors L1 return pump. That is about all I have picked out. Here is what I am considering
1) Sump- either one of the trigger emerald series or a biotek marine. I called them and they said they can even do a custom blend of the features I like from both. 40 inches wide with either 2 7in socks or 3 4in socks. Small Refugium section and larger skimmer and reactor section with a bubble trap and return. Are there any pros to the 7in socks vs 4in socks?

2) NYOS QUANTUM 220 - had really good reviews anyone ever use it? Pros cons?

3) I need some advice on carbon and gfo reactor that I will install on the return manifold i was looking at the brs deluxe reactors but saw mixed reviews - anyone use the biotek marine ones? Suggestions?

4) I also was thinking of adding a uv but was not sure what brands or size to look at.

Thanks

I like 7 inch socks because I can get my hand in them to pick stuff out. I think the biotek reactors would serve you well. I use avast reactors. Mr5 is what I use.

2 and 4 someone else can chime in. Welcome to ARC.

The M1 will be more than enough. I have an M1 on a 180 that feeds the display tanm, manifold and frag tank and only run it about 75%

bberman;1089278 wrote: Hey fellow Arc members I wanted to get some opinions on a new build I am doing. I am very new to the hobby.

I am doing a 190 gal tank and need to pick out some of my hardware. The tank is going to mostly be an fowlr but I will prob put a very few small frags in the tank for a little color.

I have a new apex system on order and have 4 AI hydra 26 hd already. I am going to use the vectors L1 return pump. That is about all I have picked out. Here is what I am considering
1) Sump- either one of the trigger emerald series or a biotek marine. I called them and they said they can even do a custom blend of the features I like from both. 40 inches wide with either 2 7in socks or 3 4in socks. Small Refugium section and larger skimmer and reactor section with a bubble trap and return. Are there any pros to the 7in socks vs 4in socks?

2) NYOS QUANTUM 220 - had really good reviews anyone ever use it? Pros cons?

3) I need some advice on carbon and gfo reactor that I will install on the return manifold i was looking at the brs deluxe reactors but saw mixed reviews - anyone use the biotek marine ones? Suggestions?

4) I also was thinking of adding a uv but was not sure what brands or size to look at.

Thanks

hey brian welcome to the club and the hobby. looks like you're going all out on this build! as far as filter socks go the only difference is the size i use sets of 3 of the 4x8" ones and they work well and if you get the urge to pick stuff out of them just flip them inside out when you're cleaning them.also the 7" ones and the 4x16" ones are just too bulky for me. they are really heavy when they get clogged and are holding water and become a pain in the you know what to change. just my 2 cents hope that helps.

Love the Trigger Sumps. Also check out there Tideline series. 7in socks imo and you can't go wrong with a NYOS skimmer.

Make sure you are actually going to need such a powerful pump. We would be putting an M1 on a system of that size. Or if you want redundancy and have more then one return get two M1 instead of one L1

Filter socks - price out the cost of replacing 3 - 4" socks vs. 2 - 7" socks. I believe you will see it more cost effective to use 7" socks. I use 7" and have been very happy.

Do not buy a BRS reactor, flow rates suffer and difficult to see the media tumbling. I prefer vertex reactors but there are a lot similar reactors that will work fine.

Careful here, lots lots of UV junk on the market. Gold standard is Emperor Aquatics UV (the name may have changed to Pentair). I'd talk to the manufacturer, but you'll want one big enough to keep protoza (ick) at bay. 50w High Output one would probably work. You can save a lot of money finding one used.

Good luck

Back