New Bulkhead leaking. Advice?

darren24

Market
Reaction score
Sorry folks. I installed my new bulkheads on the tank today and then put some ro/di water in the overflow just to check. The drain bulkhead is leaking. I took it off and put it back on and it is still leaking. Any advice or secrets to keep this from leaking? Also one side of the rubber washer had a couple of "ridge" rings around it. I think that it came assembled with the ridges down facing the glass part of the tank Is that correct?

Thanks, Darren

Wet all sides of the rubber washer, hand tighten (this is usually sufficient but if you have limited access or don't trust your strength give it a quarter turn with a wrench). Over tightening the bulkhead can actually cause it to leak.

On a side note, check your bulkhead for cracks. I just went through this and after installing and uninstalling the bulkhead a number of times, I finally checked and, sure enough, the bulkhead had a crack in it!

not too sure what you mean about those ridges. Did you crank down the bulkhead or do it just hand tight? They shuold only be hand tight, and from what I've heard put a lil bit of water around the rubber seal and that should help "seal" it.

Put the ridge side to the bulkhead, and smooth side to the glass. Make sure the nut is not on the gasket side- turning it will wrinkle the gasket. Finaklly, make sure the glass is clean, no grime, grit, etc.

Back