New calcium reactor boyz and girlz...

william1

Market
Reaction score
Well its new to me but used to others but this knop calcium reactor is one of the few things I want for my tank......Got it all hooked up a 2 days ago and have been dialing it in a little knida difficult for a novice reactor setter upper....haha

I plumbed the intake of the reactor into the skimmer intake hose with a small thinggy:D after reading futurInterests thread on the reactor he wrote a tread about were he tapped it into the return to the tank (thanks) thats where my idea came from with the skimmer intake more than enough pressure to run the reactor....

I tested my parameters on the night I hook everything up. After a few problems with the tank (not due to the reactor) the following day things were not running right with the reactor yet. After sorting out my clogged overflow drain pipe (with a snail) long story I finaly got everything running right.

I made a drip cup for the PH probe on my Milwaukee controller and the effluent drip hose and mounted it inside the sump. 2 bubbles every 3 seconds in the bubble counter from the Co2 and 2 drips per second from the effluent drip hose. The ph is finally starting to drop to 6.5 in the reactor and shuting off the Co2 flow until it rises. I had to increase the bubble count to help lower the P.h. in the reactor to start dissolving the arm media.

So its testing time agian.. Before I hooked up the reactor the three main parameters were:

P.H. 8.4
DKH 11.2
Cal 440

P.H. 6.5---------<span style="color: red;">Tank P.H. 8.0</span>
DKH 30.8--------<span style="color: red;">Tank DKH 9.8</span>
Cal 600---------<span style="color: red;">Tank Cal 440</span>

so in conclusion I think I will slow the Co2 down a little to lower the alk in the effluent seems kinda high to me.... I really wont know much until tommarow when I test again since it just really started working correctly this morning. I am looking for some info from people who have a reactor...Here are a few pics of the set up... All in all I think its a great reactor very easy to set up...

dscn2872mv7.jpg
alt="" /></a>
dscn2873uh4.jpg
alt="" /></a>

Thanks still getting it all fine tuned....a little tricky but should be okay I gotta get some new test kits in the next couple days.

Looks good so far Will, but you did get a semi-big ph drop. Did you build that DIY second chamber? It should help a lot if you get a chance to put one on. But your alk and calcium look awesome to me.

BTW, I went to ACE to get something to fix mine, but as always, ACE has everything but the one thing I need.

That sucks man... I want to build that second chamber in the next week or so when some cash comes around again. Otherwise I am going to check parameters tonight agian and see were we are at. I'm so happy no DOSING this morning yaaaaaaa...

Just tested for Mag. and its at 920 so I think I will start to dose:( And since the new calcium reactor I want everything on point.....

What are other peoples calcium and dkh readings from there effluent. Or will they very tank to tank.. Is there some type of rule of thumb...And should my PH in the effluent cup stay at a steady 6.5 most of the time or should it fluctuate? My PH will wander up and down from 7.0-6.5 all day it takes a while to get back down to 6.5...Should I slow the effluent drip? And does the arm media only dissolve at 6.5 or will 6.7 or 6.6 do it... My calcium level in the effluent is 480 and my tank has depleted in calcium to 315 doesnt seem like the calcium from the reactor is stronge enough or just dripping to slow...

you might have to add more bubbles you were only at 1 bubble every 3 secs and you need about 2 a sec if im not mistaken

Ok heres the more accurate update...Everything seems to be doing fine how do these parameters look to everyone.....

<span style="color: lime;">Tank</span>
<span style="color: lime;">PH-----8.0</span>
<span style="color: lime;">DKH----8.4</span>
<span style="color: lime;">Cal-----420</span>

<span style="color: red;">Effluent</span>
<span style="color: red;">P.H.-----6.5</span>
<span style="color: red;">DKH-----19.6</span>
<span style="color: red;">Cal------570</span>

Looks good. Vic's right on the dolomite. It adds mag to the tank, and it is much better than dosing or Epsom salt.

So heres the results boyz and girlz on the latest parameters since the calcium reactor has been set up and running. Its been about 7 days now.

P.H.-----8.0
DKH-----11.2
Cal------450

Im so happy that I got to put away my 2 part B-Ionic havent had to dose in a week wooooooohaaaaaa

charlie call cameron he knows were its a shame he is not on te boards any more

last parameters wereon 6-4-08 everything seems to be doing fine still no hand dosing just more time to inspect everything else and find new things to spend money on...LOL Stopped at aquabuys and picked up a couple new test kits so were on the money...Im picking up a 24x24x18 acrylic tomarrow for the light... It will make a nice frag tank ;)

PH------8.0
DKH-----11.2
Cal------450

Back