New cycle question

tpate77

Market
Reaction score
Ok I am in the middle of my fishless cycle. I have ammonia at 2.0 was at 8.0 or greater. Nitrites are at 1.0 and nitrates are at 10 ppm. But my ph was at 8.1 or so now has dropped to 7.8 I have some reef buffer by Seachem do I use it or wait until closer time to add fish after the cycle. I know when I do a water change my ph should go back up after my cycle is complete to remove the NO3 Also should I still have ammonia if nitrites and nitrates are Present in the test. What should I do if anything

tpate77;941351 wrote: Ok I am in the middle of my fishless cycle. I have ammonia at 2.0 was at 8.0 or greater. Nitrites are at 1.0 and nitrates are at 10 ppm. But my ph was at 8.1 or so now has dropped to 7.8 I have some reef buffer by Seachem do I use it or wait until closer time to add fish after the cycle. I know when I do a water change my ph should go back up after my cycle is complete to remove the NO3 Also should I still have ammonia if nitrites and nitrates are Present in the test. What should I do if anything
I started this cycle on 2/20/14

Sounds like the cycle is coming along. If you are 20 days into the cycle, you will continue to see those numbers drop over the next 5-10 days (ammonia, nitrite, nitrates).

While cycling I would not worry about your water chemistry other than watching ammonia and the nitrates. Once that has completely stabalized, I would do a water change and then start monitoring your key parameters: Ph, Alk, Calc, ect.

I am thinking of starting out with kalk with my auto top of I don't have a two part doser yet

Don't know much about dosing need to do some research I know people you cheap vodka or something like that

Again, I would read everything you can by randy holmes farley. I am in loganville as well, so if ya need any help, feel free to pm.

tpate77;941425 wrote: Don't know much about dosing need to do some research I know people you cheap vodka or something like that

I was talking about the big 3... cal, alk, mag...don't even consider carbon dosing until you know how to keep a stable tank.

For a new person in the hobby, Kalk is the way to go IMHO... BUT you are NOT going to need that stuff in a tank just starting out. Unless you are planning on putting SPS colonies and clams in your tank from day one (which would be a bad idea any ways), dosing after a cycle is silly...

I've been using B-Ionic for years, but if i had a bigger system, i would get the BRS stuff as it's much cheaper. I agree with Xyz. I started dosing stuff right after my tank was set up, but once I wised up and started testing regularly, i realized i didn't have to. Test regularly once your tank is operational, and you'll realize there is no need until you have inhabitants are depleting what is added via water changes.

I added my lr while my tank was cycling. This allowed it cycle well without losing anything once you start adding livestock. My tank has been running 3 months almost four and I haven't had too many issues other than my own stupidity. Lol but I don't dose anything as of yet. I have softies, sps, a clam, and fish and I haven't had any issues. Oh and a few anemones. You shouldn't have to dose yet. I added a bottle of stability right before I added my first fish just as an added precaution. But it sounds like it's going well. Be prepared for the perameters to flip a few times. Don't rush adding anything either. Lol its not worth it being everything is so expensive. And don't make the mistake of adding a damsel to begin with. Yes they are cheap and yes they are pretty but DONT DO IT!!! lol I did and I got chewed out for it. I took him out before I got good and started and haven't regretted it at all. Everyone who makes that mistake says they are stuck with their damsel and they can be real rude once you start adding more fish. Lol

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Back