Market
Reaction score
Looking forward to unboxing this thing!
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1049474=63802-VECTRA.jpg
>
1049474=63802-VECTRA.jpg
class="gc-images" title="VECTRA.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Achastain;1049492 wrote: Are these in stock anywhere in town?

i preorderd it from Bulk reef supply last friday when they had free 3 day shipping,

I love this pump! You set the minimum and maximum flow of the pump by the same dial used with the Vortech. Automatic minimum flow for feeding and preset night modes if you want to dial back flow to match the Vortechs!

Do you have it hooked up to a WXM module. I am getting ready to install one on my office tank, just wasn't sure if the WXM firmware is ready or not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ghbrewer;1049593 wrote: Do you have it hooked up to a WXM module. I am getting ready to install one on my office tank, just wasn't sure if the WXM firmware is ready or not?

Don't have it set up to WXM yet. Won't get to setting the Apex up until Friday or Saturday. I definitely think it's worth it for a pump that's quiet yet powerful and has controllability. There was a plastic piece I wasn't sure what it was for.... it's a removable piece that you glue the piping to so that you're not glueing the return pipe directly to the pump

Yeah, they covered those fittings in the video with Ecotech and Reef builders. You can either use the included union fittings or thread directly onto the pump. I am going to run mine externally, so probably going to thread directly on the pump for bigger pipe sizing.

Correct me please. What's the point of a variable speed return pump? Mine shuts off during feed mode, as well as my skimmer and tunzes. I have a silenced overflow. Any change in return pump speed would cause it to make noise, flush, etc. Also, if you have your ATO in you sump, as nearly everyone does, it will cause your ATO to kick on at high speeds, filling the sump. When you dial the speed back down, your skimmer will surge and overflow. What am I missing?

DC and DCT pumps are MUCH quieter, use less energy, and typically provide higher flow rates. I didn't care for them much b4 Ecotech came out with these models. These pumps have MUCH more advanced controls (Vortech Driver) for use both as a return pump, as well as in a closed loop setup. In return pump setup, you can program the pump to have a max and min flow rate. So when you put it into feed mode, it does not shut off, rather the flow cuts down to the min flow rate (just a trickle). Your food won't get flushed down the drain, and you won't get any bubbles when you turn it back on. In closed loop mode it will work just like a Vortech MP10/40/60, using all available modes.

Also, the pump knows if it is running dry and will shut down after 3 tries if it does not remain submerged and give an alert. They are also going to be coming out with even more advanced programming. I highly suggest anyone interested watch the following video:
watch

But, you'll still have unstable sump levels due to the ATO, right. For a closed loop, that's a totally different story. As a return pump? No thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No ill affect if you are running a controller that controls both the pump and the ATO. You just have the ATO shutoff after feed, storm modes, etc... Then come back on once everything levels out. I guess if you were using gravity fed ATO, then yes, but who really still does that? Especially anyone who would be looking at this product.

If you watched the video then you would understand where this company is heading... Let's just say Neptune Systems best watch out.

ghbrewer;1049665 wrote: No ill affect if you are running a controller that controls both the pump and the ATO. You just have the ATO shutoff after feed, storm modes, etc... Then come back on once everything levels out. I guess if you were using gravity fed ATO, then yes, but who really still does that? Especially anyone who would be looking at this product.

My biggest concern is my skimmer surging, which it would do if the water level fluctuates. Cool toy, but nothing behind that, IMO. Also, my herbie overflow would no longer be silent when the pump ramps up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MvM;1049828 wrote: My biggest concern is my skimmer surging, which it would do if the water level fluctuates. Cool toy, but nothing behind that, IMO. Also, my herbie overflow would no longer be silent when the pump ramps up.

I hear ya, different strokes for different folks.

I guess I must predicate that I assume anyone who would be running this would be using an aquarium controller, and that they would develop programs that would alleviate most, if not all of your concerns. Would be kind of pointless to spend $ on something like this if you cannot or will not leverage all of it's capabilities and potential value/benefits. Just like any new technology, design and function considerations must be taken into account and all factors that impact the overall system must be considered (much like you are doing). With a little ingenuity, and investment (like most things in this hobby), you can solve just about any problem. It all depends on whether you are willing to leverage/adapt or prefer to stay with tried and true. Nothing wrong with either perspective, just comes down to personal preference IMO and how you like to operate.

Thank you for engaging in the conversation, always good to hear different perspectives.

My skimmer is in a different compartment in my sump so the return pump speed doesn't affect the water level on the skimmer. The only time it would is when the pump turns down low for feeding and my apex turns my skimmer and ATO off during those times, like you said Grant.

I'm glad to see someone moving forward with tech like this.

Back