new euro reef skimmers problems

sailfish

Market
Reaction score
i just got anero reef 180 when i hooked it up and ran it it is very loud.

Is this normal break in?

I took the pump assemble apart and it looks like they posssible have the wrong size inpelller in it. It can move around a bit more than i would think it should. The magnet pulls it a little bit to one side or the other. I assume this is to give the pin wheel room but I believe there is something missing or it maybe the wrong size. The impeller has cover, rubber caskit arounf shaft, 2 plastic washers, the pin wheel ipeller magnet, and another rubber gaskit for shaft.

Any help would greatly be apprec.

Which pump is on the skimmer? There should be a little "play" when you insert the impeller into the pump. If you can post some pics, I'm sure someone will be able to help.

Here pics it is gx 4100
Notice the space in the rear of the impeller( pic 3) assemble looks like a another washer could be there keepping the impeller from moveing forward or backwards as it runs.
or the impeller magnet mabe wrong size diameter keeping it from being pulled to one side or another.(pic 4)
Or lastly it alright just reallly loud and maybe is breaking in.
Thanks for any help.

The shaft the impellor is on should be fixed by rubber bushings in the back of the pump and the cover. The impellor should be perfectly sized to that shaft. Nothing should touch the pump itself other than the shaft's rubber bushing. You may have a broken shaft.

Thanks the shaft is not broken the it does have 2 rubber bushings 2 plastic spacers and a washer
I was wanting to know how loud some of yours were when you strated it.

If some one will let me know how i will post pics

Thanks agian for all help

Assuming they still ship with the Sedra pumps, should be REALLY quite. I had a G3 with a Sedra and you couldn't hear it unless the doors of the stand were open. Then it was only a slight hum.

Thanks looks like i well be making some calls tomorrow.
The whole reason i paid this much was to not have problems.

Can understand that. The reason to buy a EuroReef is to get a solid pump. Sorry you are having difficulty.

How long did you allow the pump to run before shutting it down? The Gen-x pumps do need a short break in period and, although they shouldn't be too loud, they are not silent. Try running it in a bucket of water for an hour or so (as long as it isn't making any awful noises) to break it in.

mufret;42737 wrote: How long did you allow the pump to run before shutting it down? The Gen-x pumps do need a short break in period and, although they shouldn't be too loud, they are not silent. Try running it in a bucket of water for an hour or so (as long as it isn't making any awful noises) to break it in.
I can't keep up anymore... the EuroReefs use a GenX pump now? Holy crap... yes they do and Mike is very correct. GenX pumps are known to noisy out of the box and tend to quite down as they run. I had this issue with my 2400.

Wonder why they don't use GenX for the smaller pumps as well...

ER uses the Gen-x 4100 and 6000 along with the Sedras and Eheim. The 4100 will pull as much air (900 lph) as the Eheim and have been the pump of choice for the mesh mod.

mufret;42783 wrote: ER uses the Gen-x 4100 and 6000 along with the Sedras and Eheim. The 4100 will pull as much air (900 lph) as the Eheim and have been the pump of choice for the mesh mod.
Agreed. The numbers pulling from the GenX are really good made even better by its price.

Two things appear to be wrong right out of the box
Euro-Reef said that i am missing a washer but think that the small chip i see on the rear of the ceramic bearing is probly the cause.
They are back ordered for new impellers but are going to send me a <span style="font-family: 'Times New Roman';">Temporary one that will hopefully work.</span>
<span style="font-family: 'Times New Roman';">I had to pay $16 to get it overnighted otherwise it would 3 to 5 days.</span>
<span style="font-family: 'Times New Roman';"></span>
<span style="font-family: 'Times New Roman';">The guy at Rro-Reef was nice, and he heard the pump over the phone and new something was wrong.</span>
<span style="font-family: 'Times New Roman';"></span>
<span style="font-family: 'Times New Roman';">Thanks for all the help I let you guys know what happens.</span>

I also have an ER RC-180. It originally shipped with the GenX 4100. The pump was loud and it also malfunctioned during its first month. It was related to the impeller. When it malfunctioned, the ceramic shaft of the impeller grooved the inside of the pump. With ER's help, I upgraded the pump to the Eheim. It is certainly alot quieter to run but the trade off may be in performance. It doesn't seem to move as much air. I could be wrong, but thats just my observation in my tank.

Ouch again on the pump. I can understand why they are out of impellors as a lot of people are ordering the impellors to upgrade their off brand skimmer to ER standards. Cheaper to buy an ASM and throw a ER impellor in for the same performance.

Back