New fish problems, need advise please

camellia

Supporting
Reaction score
I'm having some bad luck here!

My new yellow Tang has one of my blond hairs hanging out of its mouth. I don't know how long it was but there's only an inch hanging. My shortest hair (bangs) are 8".
Thank God it's in a 28 cube QT so I could easily catch it, but then what?

In the tank with it is a Flame Angle that hasn't ate one bite. I've feed pellets, Rod, Brine and 4 other frozen foods. I've also tried several of these foods soaked in seachem garlic gaurd.
It's been 5 days! It's still very active and looks good but I'm out of ideas. I don't like the idea of "it will eat when it's hungry" posts...

The 3rd fish in the tank, Carpenter Wrasse, is doing great.

I hate to stress them all out especially the tang by catching it and pulling on the hair. There's no way it's going to break off... The only hope would be it swallows the rest of it and manages to poop it out!
Anyone know it the hair could get wrapped around its intestines or something horrible like that?
Thanks

I would call on the "fish doctor" if it was me. She'll tell you that she's not a "doctor"; but I'd trust her guidance any day of the week. PM JennM or maybe she will respond here. Hope all gets better for your tank mates very soon.

Wannabee

Jenn whatcha think?

Jenn and I have actually talked about the "hair" but it was dog hair. Her words were somthing like,
"It's a good thing hair don't kill fish"...
But this morning the hair is still hanging out of its mouth :(
And this Angel fish, dang whats with that?

Camellia;992102 wrote: Jenn whatcha think?

Jenn and I have actually talked about the "hair" but it was dog hair. Her words were somthing like,
"It's a good thing hair don't kill fish"...
But this morning the hair is still hanging out of its mouth :(
And this Angel fish, dang whats with that?

You could try feeding the flame some live foods. IME black worms have worked well.

How long has the tang had the hair in its mouth? I'd assume it will eventually eat the rest and pass it.

Bassett22;992124 wrote: Wait till 2 inches are hanging out the other side, then try to pull it out.

Dental flush for his innards. Hehehehe

I heard my name in vain? :D

I wouldn't worry about the hair. This too, shall pass ;)

My big old batfish, Bruce, ate a rubber band in the 1000g tank (we'd used the band to tie some nori to a rock and it came loose.) It ate the thing, not once, not twice, but 3 times that I witnessed before I was able to intervene and get it out of the tank before he gobbled it up again. And yeah, it passed right through... over and over ***GAK***

As for the Flame angel... how long have you had it? How long was it in the store before you bought it, did you see it eat in the store, and if so, what did they feed it?

Is it in a quarantine or in the display? Is it picking on rocks etc.? Or just swimming around aimlessly?

Any aggression from any other fishes in the tank? Might it be intimidated?

Sometimes new fishes can be 'secret eaters' or they might just forage for stuff on their own rather than take prepared foods. After 5 days it's not likely that it hasn't eaten something, when you weren't watching.

How is it behaving otherwise? You mentioned it's swimming around, so it doesn't sound like it's hiding or anything.

It's really a good idea to see a fish eat in the store before you buy it. At the very least you'll know what it ate last, and when, and if it was eating a particular food, you know that you should be able to get it to eat that fairly soon after bringing it home.

As a hobbyist, I was never afraid to walk away from a specimen that would not eat readily, and as a shopkeeper I wasn't offended by someone asking/expecting to see a specimen eat, and neither of us would feel good about a fish going home if it didn't eat.

Jenn

LSU yes I have, unfournatuly.

Jenn HELP!

It's in a JBJ 28, QT with a Yellow Tang and Carpenter Wrasse. In QT is only PVC, fake plants no excess food left after feeding.
Chris, I've put a decent size Marine Algae on clip every day but have seen no interest from the Flame. It looked like it might have a Popeye and today it's popped up for sure. I have been soaking most all foods in garlic gaurd and Metronidazole so it's in the water but not the stomach of Flame. I've also not soaked foods to try to get it to eat. I've seen it eat nothing for 6 days now. It's still acting happy ??
It has put food in its mouth twice today and spit it back out. I don't know what else there is, I've tried everything!
The hair is gone from the Tangs mouth. I'll be watching for it from the other side!
I'll over feed now and turn lights out in 30, maybe it's shy?? Tomorrow is WC day anyway!

You didn't answer my other questions...

If it has popeye it's likely a bacterial infection. Have you spoken to the vendor you bought it from yet? If not you should.

Please see my other questions. I can help best with as much info as possible.

Jenn

Hey Jenn,

I think my original post had all the info as I'm sure the more facts help (however confusing). I tried to post it clearer the second time. As far as the LFS, I had a difficult time getting that info as there is confusion as to which shipment it actually came in on.
Originally he recommended one that had been in the store for a week and said he knew it ate well. But there were actually more than 3 tanks with Flames and I (eveidently) picked the wrong one.
It may have just came in that day, not really sure.
If I haven't answered something, it's not intentional.

So you did not see it eat in the store correct?

Teachable moment... when you are considering purchasing a fish- any fish. Ask the clerk to feed it. If it doesn't eat, walk away.

I realize that ship has sailed... just pointing that out for going forward.

Does it try to pick at anything? (even the plastic plants).

How long have you had it now, a week or so?

Jenn

Jenn,
You are correct and I had heard that before but when I remembered it he had already changed fish after chasing one and .... YES MAM, it won't happen again. Honestly I haven't bought many fish, I'm just now stocking my tank with my fish list 2 -3 at a time in QT.
It hasn't picked or put anything in its mouth and spit it out like it was doing. It's Popeye is still there but hasn't got any worse and it's a small Popeye.
The LFS has offered to take it back or exchange it but I'm afraid that would stress it to death at its current weak state. I have a shipment of (6) live foods being delivered in the morning that it will hopefully like something.
I've had it for a week today. It's still swimming fine and I'm not sure how, but dosent look horribly thin?

Tonight it looked like it ate one or two frozen brine off the bottom but could be wrong. It prefers to look for food on the bottom of the tank, it ignores anything floating past it as the other two fish devor it.
Should I try to soak the live pods etc in the medication before putting them in the tank? I'm sure it will kill them, right? I planned to pick out some of the bigger pods and drop in and get it eating first, then worry about the Popeye.
Do you agree?
Thanks

I wouldn't try gut loading live stuff with medicine because yes, it will probably kill the pods - if not right away, shortly thereafter. Better to have live food in there, period, although I'm not sure that it will take to live foods any more heartily, as they tend to be grazers (ie eat a lot of algae versus pods and things) - it's worth a try though.

Jenn

Back