New Home Setup - Advice on Mixing Station Plumbing/Pump

Cuso

Supporting
Reaction score
Hi all - we're going to be moving in a few months and I'm trying to plan out the tank move/new mixing station setup/fish room. Main tank will be going on the wall next to the stairs and my mixing station will be in another room of the basement. May do other tanks/stuff over time with all the space, but looking for ideas on building this one out first - looking at about 25-30ft worth of run at least (probably up into the ceiling, so it's out of the way) terminating in the closet behind the stairs where I'm planning to house my ATO and other equipment as needed. At least wanting a strong enough pump to get water there for water changes and filling up the reservoir for now...but could eventually tie in for awc or something of the sort maybe in future.

Any thoughts/advice on how I could approach this build or ideas others have that would be a good way to plumb this out, if different than just a long run of flexible tubing? It's going through unfinished space and a utility closet, so I can have a bit of freedom in there. What would be a good, sufficient pump to accomplish this run you recommend? Open to suggestions, much appreciated.

Attachments

• Basement Tank.png
    Basement Tank.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 25
  • 20240211_130258.jpg
    20240211_130258.jpg
    316 KB · Views: 25
If this is going to be permanent then I would put permanent piping in the walls so that you can easily cover it up later and will look nice and tidy. .02
Would there be benefit to doing hard piping or going more horizontally and around vs up and over? Any considerations with pump pressure using one or the other?

Would there be benefit to doing hard piping or going more horizontally and around vs up and over? Any considerations with pump pressure using one or the other?
I can't offer any input in that regard. Perhaps someone else can or it might be worth contacting a plumber.

I would do schedule 40 pipe up and over. For the pump, you need to know how high up you are pumping from your source and then factor distance and turns into that. Hard to give a real recommendation without more specifics.

Last edited:
Hi all - we're going to be moving in a few months and I'm trying to plan out the tank move/new mixing station setup/fish room. Main tank will be going on the wall next to the stairs and my mixing station will be in another room of the basement. May do other tanks/stuff over time with all the space, but looking for ideas on building this one out first - looking at about 25-30ft worth of run at least (probably up into the ceiling, so it's out of the way) terminating in the closet behind the stairs where I'm planning to house my ATO and other equipment as needed. At least wanting a strong enough pump to get water there for water changes and filling up the reservoir for now...but could eventually tie in for awc or something of the sort maybe in future.

Any thoughts/advice on how I could approach this build or ideas others have that would be a good way to plumb this out, if different than just a long run of flexible tubing? It's going through unfinished space and a utility closet, so I can have a bit of freedom in there. What would be a good, sufficient pump to accomplish this run you recommend? Open to suggestions, much appreciated.
Just a thought, and I don't know if it's possible or enough room etc, but if you move the whole thing to your equipment closet, you can have just your ro where is at, use house pressure to push water through a 1/4 inch tiny little tube and only run that thrive your ceiling, then you don't really need much of a pump at all. Big piping and pumps create risk of leaks and difficult routing. The ro tube is seamless, continuous and already 60 psi from your water service.

If there is not room in the equipment closet, then I understand this won't help.

Back