New HQI bulb not working

john e

Market
Reaction score
The 150w MH bulb on my light burned out the other day. It was over 12 months old so I have been expecting I would need to replace it anyday. I picked up a new bulb today and got home and it does not work. When I turn it on the center of the bulb lights up blue as if it is going to warm up and brighten like normal, but after about 2-3 seconds it cuts off.

Any ideas if it is the bulb or the ballast? This is the HQI pendant that comes with a Solana setup.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Should be the bulb, since your old one was working... have you put it back in just to check?

The old one burnt out so I can't check it. The center of the old one is black from burning out, I assume that is normal when they get old?

They get black when they're still alive, too, but I guess yours is not going to help you any. I'm sure somebody here has a "retired" bulb they'd give you for testing, or at least let you borrow it... matter of fact, I have one you can try, but I've never tried it before, since it came in a "box o' crap".

Well, I am just going to say it. I am an idiot that can't install a light bulb. I just reseated the bulb and it fired up. It looks like a tanning booth in my living room once again. Thanks Barry for the help.

Back