New light....excited

nhutdmd

Reaction score
Thanks to all who posted on my thread to help with my light and water issue. Thanks to Ron, I got a 6-week old light strip which includes 2 x 250 HQI MH, 4 x 39 watt T5's and 18 lunars. Although it is a 36", with it mounted about 5 inches above the tank, I get total light penetration everywhere!

I had a salinity issue...but getting it under control, now... 1.027(need to get it to 1.025 right?)
Calcium..400
ph 8.2
dkh 6-7(working on getting it higher)
nitrates 0-20
nitrites 0-20

I have had a bubble algae problem, hair alge as well. Found out TDS reading on my RO/DI sourse was 22 ppm. Besides my source of water what do to treat and prevent this from coming up again? I was feeding 1 cube of frozen food every 3 days(krill, brine, mysis, different variety). Is this too much??

Trying to get things in shape...maybe restock cleaner crew?..for a clean slate.

Van

Yeah, the BA and HA was booming before with my power compacts and I didn't know how old the bulbs were since I purchased it used from a fellow ARC reefer. Everyone I have spoken to have recommended upgrading so now I have. I am hoping that that was the main issue. Not sure what my skimmer model is, but from what I was told it is a great skimmer, I have to empty out the collection cup weekly with dark, brown crud! I have been performing 5 gallon water changes until I can exact my salinity and ensure my nitrates are in check. Can't wait to do some real reefing!

Congrats on getting the new lights. It sounds like you are starting to get things under control. Are you doing a reduced light schedule to let everything get acclimated to the new lights? What are you checking your salinity with? The hydrometers that I have seen tend to read lower than what the water really is so I'd check it with a refractometer to make sure since it is a little high. How many fish do you have? A whole cube seems like a lot at one time even if it is every three days.

Yes,

Trying to acclimate light...I ran it a couple of hours the night I received it, last night about 5 hours, tonight 7 hours? The light is intense! Should I reduce the schedule for such power? What do you suggest?? I have been measuring it with a coralife hydrometer. I have a total of 7 fish. 2 percs, 2 damsels, 1 tomato, 1 six-line, 1- dragon goby. I was advised to give 1/4th of a cube on the same schedule.

nhutdmd;209921 wrote: Yes,

Trying to acclimate light...I ran it a couple of hours the night I received it, last night about 5 hours, tonight 7 hours? The light is intense! Should I reduce the schedule for such power? What do you suggest?? I have been measuring it with a coralife hydrometer. I have a total of 7 fish. 2 percs, 2 damsels, 1 tomato, 1 six-line, 1- dragon goby. I was advised to give 1/4th of a cube on the same schedule.

I don't have any experience with MHs so my advise on it would be suspect, but I have read that others would keep the lights on for the same amount of time as before with several layers of screen over the tank and remove a layer each week or so. Hopefully, the more experienced guys will chime in on this.

A 1/4th of a cube seems a lot more reasonable. I have more fish than you spread over several tanks and I feed about a 1/4th cube every other day with some flakes on the off days.

Please get your water tested with a refractometer. I don't trust the hydrometers at all.

Back