New Member Intro

jason7274

Market
Reaction score
Hello all, my name is Jason and I’m very new to the hobby. We’ve had Betta tanks for a while, but I’ve always wanted to try a reef system. We were able to get a free 36g tank from our neighbor, so I’m giving it a go. It has been up for about 5 weeks now and brown algae is starting to show on the rocks. We are sticking with FOWLR for the first 6-8 months to make sure everything is stable, then I want to start with GPS. I’m looking forward to learning more about this hobby from all of you! I’ve reviewed several threads and picked up a few tips already.

Here is my current setup:
79F279CF-9E4B-45CD-8ADE-CAD86B96679A.jpeg
36g bow front
Fluval Canister
2 Kessil lights
Coral Box QP5+ powerhead
30lbs of live rock and sand.
Livestock: 2 Clowns, 1 Firefish, 1 Bicolored Blenny, 2 Astraea snails and 1 Nassarius Snail

Welcome!!!! That tank is looking good already. So, are you only using the canister filter and no sump at all? I just started a 40 gallon with only canister and I am interested in how your tank progresses. Mine, has a cyano and dark brown hair algae. I’ve always had big tanks and so I wanted to try this small tank and I’m realizing now that I suck at small tanks lol. So, please keep us updated on your tank. Ps, you have some really nice lights on your tank lol I’m jelly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. I’m running a Fluval 207 with the included media, but swapping out the carbon media next week for ChemiPure Blue. I clean it every other Sunday and do a 5g water change at the same time. So far so good. I have had almost 0 ammonia/nitrites for the last 3 weeks and nitrates are hovering around 10. I had blown algae on rocks and glass, but CUC and Blenny are handling it pretty good.
They’re great lights! ONce I start getting corals, I’m going to get the timer so I don’t have to adjust them anymore. I was hesitant to get them, but Matt at Pure Reef told me the lights are the one thing you should spend money on.

I had a spotted puffer in the 40, so the Cucs in the 40 were unable to perform at potential. I move the puffer into my main’s sump. Omg, it’s so funny because the puffer seems so much happier in there. And my 2 year old can actually interact with it better. So, I added a mini and a lawn mower blenny into the 40. I added some chemi clean and now I need to add something to eat this brown hair algae. This hobby is so fun!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back