New Member Introduction

Ponytail

Reaction score
Hi, my fishy friends! My husband and I have been in the marine aquarium hobby since the late '70's, long before the technological advances and marine hobby knowledge became what it is today . My husband's the coral reef keeper and I maintain a stable of 3 Seahorse pairs. Currently I have a 50Gal tank with sump that has been established for 2 years. My horses are captive bred from two different breeding farms. I have always loved Seahorses and had a Seahorse tank back in 1981 when little was known about keeping Seahorses in captivity. Then I established a tank from 2002-2005 with 2 mating pairs and made numerous attempts at raising their young, and now my current stable of 6 captive bred ponies has been running since 2014. My tank is only 20" high, which makes mating challenging, if not altogether impossible. There have been spilled eggs on the substrate three times, but no successful matings yet. I want to upgrade my tank to a 75-80Gal. Tall when I can afford to. Recently I installed my old CPR HOB Medium refugium on my tank to grow macroalgae and critters in an effort to lower the Nitrates which remain around 10 ppm in spite of weekly water changes of 15-20 Gals.

I would love to connect with other Seahorse shepherds on this forum and in my neighborhood to share experiences and the like. If you are interested in this too, please reply to my post.

Thank you!
Ponytail

Hi Ponytail, welcome to the club! I’m sure we have a few other seahorse hobbiests In the club.

I'm not a seahorse Sheppard but I do want to say a hearty "Welcome" to you, the hubby and the heard! I'm sure there are other enthusiast out there that can share some knowledge with you.

Hello and welcome to the club. You've been in the hobby a long time, I'd love to see some pics of your different systems over the years!

Hi ponytail I too am a seahorse enthusiast nowhere near as experienced as you I currently only have 2 in a 30 gallon would love to see some pics of your stable

Back