New MRC skimmer

william1

Market
Reaction score
I am installing my new skimmer today that I got from Jeremy. I will post some pics soon for everyone.

So here are a few pics of the install. I know its not pretty but I still have to clean it up.
dscn31530301gy7.jpg
alt="" /></a>
dscn31540302nn2.jpg
alt="" /></a>
dscn31610309ea9.jpg
alt="" /></a>
dscn31620310ru5.jpg
alt="" /></a>

glxtrix;228768 wrote: Cool man...looks like you need more juice behind those becketts

I second that. You should be getting 10x the amount of air in that skimmer. What are you running it on?

It is running off a mag18 I still have some more adjustments and some larger tubing to put in place of what Im using right now. That should help with some flow restriction.

Get a good pressure rated pump, Pan World or Iwaiki. You will be amazed at the difference!!

mag 18 isn't going to cut it really. Like Mark said, get a pressure rated pump and you'll see what the skimmer can do.

Im just using the pump that came with it from Jeremy. Soon I will have to get a new cabnet to house all the stuff I have to sqweeze under there. I have to install my calcium reactor still and phosban under there somewhere.

Dude, you got the gate valve looking new!!! While I agree with the others that an external pressure pump would be best, the mag 18 obviously works, I've been using it for years, and it pulled out some nasty stuff. How do you have it plumbed? Its kinda hard to tell from the pics. One suggestion I can make is for the tee fitting to be oriented differtly. Plumbing it the way you did really preovides a alot of backpressure. In the long sweeps of flexible tubing, does the tube squeeze down, and restrict flow? The left beckett in particular seems to be struggling, so I wonder if that hose is crimped a little.

Both becketts were not totally turned on in the pics I posted. I redid the plumbing a little and still have to make a HD run but its starting to remove 10X more waste then the other skimmer:eek: I am amazed. I have all the components for a great tank just need to get them all in order and stuffed in the stand:confused2: . The gate valve is the same one I just used a slip inside the cut end Jeremy, and pieced it together.

WILLIAM1;228859 wrote: Both becketts were not totally turned on in the pics I posted. I redid the plumbing a little and still have to make a HD run but its starting to remove 10X more waste then the other skimmer:eek: I am amazed. I have all the components for a great tank just need to get them all in order and stuffed in the stand:confused2: . The gate valve is the same one I just used a slip inside the cut end Jeremy, and pieced it together.

Cool, it should work awesome for ya. Good job on the gate valve man, you know I had my doubts, but it looks perfect. Im gonna send you a PM.

Thanks man! it works really nice and I really needed an upgrade. I will post some more pics later today.

I'll post some pics tonight of what an MR-2R looks like running on a pressure rated pump.

Jeremy was right about your 'T'. Turn it so it runs parallel, not perpindicular to the flow.

Here's some pics of the MR-2R running at the shop on about ~100 gallons of water holding some snails, hermits, refugium, a fish, and a few corals. As you can see, you definitly need more water moving through the injectors. That's about one week of skimming fairly dry. There's about a gallon sitting in the waste collecter on the floor. Oh, and congrats on the skimmer, you'll love it.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
229024=13545-1015080803.jpg
>
229024=13545-1015080803.jpg
class="gc-images" title="1015080803.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
229024=13546-1015080803a.jpg
>
229024=13546-1015080803a.jpg
class="gc-images" title="1015080803a.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Thanks I might look into a new pump just dont know how much room I have left to work with.

So after cleaning te becketts out:blush: I realized how much better the skimmer really works. So many more bubbles they wont stop. I will post a new pic tomarrow.

That doesn't surprise me. Have you ever seen Jeremy? He's as dirty as you can get; second only to his mother.

Back