New (Paying) Member Progress Update - Sump/Refugium Questions

dasher

Reaction score
Hello All!

Well, I just sprung for the $30 membership and I am happy to be a paying member!

Here's a quick update on the things I've done - I'd appreciate any advice or answers to my statements. Thanks in advance!

I got the 75 gallon tank, stand, heater, and lights (LED lights). These are all at home.

I bought a RO/DI filter and it is en route.

I bought a protein skimmer, an AquaC ev-180. I bought a Mag Drive 7 pump for this skimmer.

I bought 2 Marineland Maxi Jet Powerheads (Maxi Jet 400).

I bought an Eshopps PF-300 Overflow Box (my tank is not drilled).

I think that is it for the purchases for now, I have a large trash can and empty 5 gallon buckets.

My next effort is geared toward that elusive critter: the sump/refugium.

I realize there are numerous opinions about the sump/refugium and I'll do my best not to open a can of worms.

I have a regular 20 gallon tank (not a long tank) that I want to use as my sump/refugium. Now, to the best of my reading, the sump/refugium should house the protein skimmer, refugium, and return pump (at minimum). However, looking at the AquaC EV-180, it seems to me as if it would do better to position it outside the sump/refugium, and put a heater and some live rock in the first chamber of the sump/refugium. Then the refugium in the middle chamber and the return pump in the last chamber.

Oh, I should point out, I'm thinking of going with this sort of a layout for the sump/refugium (eBay seller's photo):

(please see attached photo)

Thank you in advance for your comments and advice!

Dan
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1047749=63539-refugium1.jpg
>
1047749=63539-refugium1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="refugium1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Hey Dan, Welcome to ARC!

I'd recommend starting a build thread separate from here and post all of your tank stuff in there. You will probably get more responses.

i'm not too familiar with that skimmer, but it seems like it might be better suited outside of the sump, like you said. I would also agree on adding the heater to the sump, but you probably shouldn't add live rock. In my opinion, the sump should just hold equipment. Things like live rock are only going to be one more thing you will have to clean.

Back