New Rockwork

dball711

Supporting
Reaction score
So I got a great deal on some Pukani rock the other day and decided to replace one of the rocks in my 75. The rockwork originally consisted of 4 rocks, a large one, a much larger one (40+ lbs) and two small chunks. Knowing that our next meeting was going to be about AquaScaping with Dr. Paul Whitby I thought I might pick up some pointers. Or would I, I mean what was he going to teach me about piling up rocks in my tank. I had been doing this for 30 years, 40 if you count my early days of freshwater tanks.

So after a quick google of the Dr. and reading a few of his articles, I couldn’t believe the science that went into his aquascapes. I was floored by the tanks and examples I saw. So much so that I couldn’t wait to get started and that was last night. I couldn’t believe the journey I was on and couldn’t stop working till about 2:00AM.

Lets start at the beginning, here are a couple of pictures from when I set up the tank a little over a year ago. It was ok but it just didn’t jump out and say WOW look at me!
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1017019=59739-IMG_2918.jpg
>
1017019=59739-IMG_2918.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_2918.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
1017019=59740-IMG_7013.jpg
>
1017019=59740-IMG_7013.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_7013.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Here is a picture of what it looked like after I added an outcropping to the top left of the main rock in the tank. I was only getting started.
1017020=59741-IMG_1137.jpg
>
1017020=59741-IMG_1137.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_1137.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Finally here is the end result, just wanted to share. I can’t wait till the March 7th meeting to see what else I can learn.
1017023=59742-IMG_1155.jpg
>
1017023=59742-IMG_1155.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_1155.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
1017023=59744-IMG_1156.jpg
>
1017023=59744-IMG_1156.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_1156.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Jeez Dave!!
You weren't suppose to google and DIY until AFTER the meeting, dang you!
It REALLY did make a MAJOR improvement by simply "adding" to your existing scapes, lucky dog!

I've been unhappy with mine since I setup this tank over a year ago and have moved/worked for hours on end, day after day.... I've broke and lost SO many coral trying to "get it right"!
After reading about the March meeting I thought OK, I'm not touching it again until after the meeting. Thinking just maybe I'd get some of my work done or at least a little caught up! But NO, now I've got to go read the ole Dr Paul's teaching online. Thanks so much...not!

Jk, it looks great and a big improvement for the "evening" of work it took :)

I love the changes, Dave!

I am a firm believer that tank appearance</em> is completely personal and subjective. The primary factor should be that the inhabitants have what they need. Beyond that it is preference. I personally like rockwork that looks natural. Far too many people have tanks that look completely symmetrical or consists of the boring "rock wall".

stacy22;1017033 wrote: I love the changes, Dave!

I am a firm believer that tank appearance</em> is completely personal and subjective. The primary factor should be that the inhabitants have what they need. Beyond that it is preference. I personally like rockwork that looks natural. Far too many people have tanks that look completely symmetrical or consists of the boring "rock wall".

I couldn't agree more. Looks awesome dave. plenty of space for some serious acro growth

looks great.you should come over to my house and do my 125g.i cant do rockscaping to save my life.

Back