New Salt from Seachem

ralph atl

Market
Reaction score
interesting. I really love their Seachem Reef Salt, but now they are introducing a new one.
here:
a>

I had heard this was coming. It's not available yet.

I'm going to a Seachem training seminar tomorrow (Tuesday-Thursday) - I'll see what I can find out about it.

Jenn

WOW looks interesting.

To be honest never knew our tanks needed all thoes trace elements!

Copper? Maybe they are going for some built-in bryopsis protection?

dawgdude;365922 wrote: Uh pH is 8.8?!?!? Take good notes for me Jenn! lol

Thats what I said...

Mag looks a little on the low side too...

dawgdude;365922 wrote: Uh pH is 8.8?!?!? Take good notes for me Jenn! lol

I've been getting a steady 8.6 out of their current Reef Salt... with this, combined with whatever is magical about my water I might be at 9.0! :D

When I last spoke to Jim, he stated this was going to be their new premium salt. Each batch is going to come with a lab analyisis, showing what each batch has. The pricing is going to be close to their reef salt, $5-10 higher. From what he was saying it is going to be well worth the extra money.

They are working on larger packaging for Aquavitro - they have UPCs for it but I haven't seen the new packaging yet.

I'll find out what I can on the new salt.

Back in the day, Seachem used to have a very high-end ($$$$$) salt - where I worked 9 years ago they carried it but it didn't sell well - I never carried it (for those reasons) but since they reworked their salt it's much more affordable and I think, better quality.

Brian was told about the Aquavitro salt at his training session in April - so I daresay they will touch on it when I do my sessions on Wed & Thurs.

I'll let you know what I find out.

Jenn

I'm back from Seachem :)

The Aquavitro salt should be available in about 2 months.

It will be made in-house in their Madison, GA facility - like they did in the old days with their original salt (that probably nobody remembers LOL but I remember it from about 9 years ago).

I asked about the pH of 8.8...

Firstly - each batch of salt will be analyzed independently by UGA and each container in the batch will be labeled with the analysis of that particular batch. So there will be some slight variance from one batch to another, but you will always know what the analysis is of that particular bucket when you purchase it.

As for the 8.8 pH... that is a bit higher than their target but was in the analysis of the test batch whose analysis was posted. It will have a higher than normal pH, and it was explained to me that this will raise the pK of the tank water on a water change, and as such, help to stabilize and maintain tanks at 8.3-8.4. I believe the target pH of the salt is more in the 8.5-8.6 range (not 8.8 as was in the test batch).

I was also told that this will be the most concentrated salt on the market. In other words, you will not need as much salt as competing brands to achieve your desired specific gravity.

While Seachem does not speak against competing products... I'm going to give you an example... I'm looking at a box of Reef Crystals that yields 200 gallons. If you read the box, 200 gallons will be at 1.020 SG at 77F. So if you keep a higher specific gravity, as most reefkeepers do, your actual yield from a "200 gallon" box is somewhat less at a higher specific gravity.

They have not given me pricing but they did indicate that they are aiming for a competitive price on the product - not the cheapest but not super-expensive either - they are aiming for a mid-range price point.

They also let us know that Platinum dealers (of which I am one, as are several others in the area) will be among the first to have this product made available. Like the other Aquavitro products, it will not be sold to big box stores or online.

Jenn

I wonder if they'd allow loading dock pickup? they are closer to me than any ATL stores, and I've written off the local to me shops.

It will be available in buckets only.

They do not deal with the end user, so no pick up at their dock.

Back