New salt vs Fritz?

anthony

Market
Reaction score
Just curious how everyone is feeling about the new salt for bulk buy vs the Fritz we used to get. How does it compare?

Aquaforest Reef?
Doesn’t quite mix as clean as quickly as Tropic Marin, but I do like the elevated KH compared to it. At 35ppt it is around the same calcium and magnesium

Don’t like the metric measurements either but I can get close in a large bin then adjust from there. I will say that compared to reef pro, it takes more salt, as I think their gallons made are measured at 33ppt. That being said, at the price we paid, it is still substantially cheaper.
I’d give it a solid B+.

Ive used both Friz and AquaForest from group buys in the past. And still have both and still using both. I have half box of fritz that I use to mix at 20ppm for my pod culturing and AF for my regular water changing @1.027. Used Fritz for almost year and half exclusively and had zero issues with it. I was planning on moving to different brand eventually (was thinking of trying TM), but of course the group buying was happening so I just bought these instead. Ive used 5 Boxes of Fritz in total. And First box on the Aquaforest salt.

Exact same measure and exact same procedures when using these. I do water changes within 2hr of mixing and they are always clear.. They never form brown scares in the mixing tubes. Maybe because I dont store them and use it instantly. No powdery residues either like kalk.

I use to mix 1.55lbs per 5Gal (1.025) but now I mix 1.7lbs per 5Gal (1.027). ANd 0.33oz per 2 liter of RODI for culturing at 1.020 etc.

-Fritz RPM has higher dkH and pH increase when doing a water change. So Frits elevates both pH and dkH when doing water changes. I remember dkH being around 8.8 @1.025
-AF has lower dkH and didnt really have any impact on pH when doing water change. So, AF lowers dkH when doing water changes. Last time I checked dkH was at 8.2 @1.025

My tank seems to be doing good and when I do a ICP (end of next month) I will see some differences in comparison btw these two salt in my tank better. I plan to finish up 2.5 boxes. I like AF salt. And When these run out, I pro probably try another brand but it will be a year or two before I change. Im doing less water changes now days.

Back