Market
Reaction score
Ok, it's up and running....
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
53291=3508-IMG_1796.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
53291=3508-IMG_1796.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_1796.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
53291=3509-IMG_1797.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
53291=3509-IMG_1797.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_1797.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Is that the best you can do with the rock work?!?

J/K.. ;) looks great man. I can not wait to see it full of critters!

lol...yeah man...hey its not that bad for it being complete guess work....i was trying to make more little caves but with the branch pieces and not being able to see and all it was a little tough...could use some rearranging it think but all at the same time its kinda growing on me.....it might turn out to be on these accidental , " I like the rock work" which is the best kind after all.

Xyzpdq0121;53299 said:
Is that the best you can do with the rock work?!?
quote]

:slap: for Brandon.... rotflm*o

This looks AWESOME... Come and do my A-scaping for me? (I just can't get it right)

Couple questions (we may want to try this someday when we're pros... 10-12 years from now):

~ How many gallons?

~ What other critters do you have with your ponies? (I see other things in there)

Thanks, and PLEASE keep us posted. I want to know how this set-up does. Looking forward to more pics after it's established, too.

~Linda

Hey Linda,

Thanks for the compliment....truth is I actually love aquascaping tanks...its one of my favorite parts of the hobby....its a pita but its still a lot of fun.....nonetheless I still think the best way to aquascape to very big extent is to just let the rocks fall where they may.....obviously I always lay the base rocks first and then from there I almost always just start picking rocks up blind and then placing them in the tank....I usually like it but if I don't I take it out and pick another rock at random......I've noticed that the more I think about it the less natural it looks.

As for the tank....all it has right now are two damsels (cycling) and a royal gramma that I am going to move to my reef tank....I dont plan on keeping any other critters in here with the seahorses except for a clean up crew. The tank is 37 gallons.

please remove the damsels from that tank. There are no need to put those fish throught that.. LR will start the cycling, but if you must then put in a pice of shirmp. That all it really take to get your tank cycling.

ON a second note. YOU know that Seahorse need a coller temp then reef right? they need the temp to be around 72-77.

how many pairs and what kind are you planning to keep? Some beautiful and exciting tank mates are firefish- I have one (purple) with my pair of erectus and he is always hanging out in the front and never a competition for food.

I thought I was going to do species only too, untill I realized they only ever appeared from behind the rock/caulerpa around feeding time. The fish gives guests (and you) something pretty to look at when the seahorses hiding.

are you going to keep small or giant ponies because i know a guy on ebay he sells 5 pairs of small seahores for about 80$ shipped right now he dosen't have any listed but when he dose i will give you the link. he gets them directly from the diver and no middlemen. he also sells pipefish wich go great with seahourses and he also sells packs of sea gordians, whips ect.

wolfie: thanks for the tips. I put the damsels in about 3 weeks after the tank had nothing in it but LR so it's not like I shocked the into it....secondly, even if I was going to cycle a tank I don't think it cruel to do so with a damsel. I've done it a couple of times and they end up being really happy fish....the only time one ever dies was because it got sucked up by a powerhead...lesson learned.....now, I dot flush them when I'm done with them....they always go back to the pet store....or get given away....As for the temp of the tank, I have read mostly 75-79, but yeah in that range and because I'll also be keeping just a couple of zoo's and shrooms, I'll probably keep it at 78-79.

Tedman: Thanks also for the suggestion. I was thinking about firefish and I love to hear the success stories of when it works but I think at the beginning they will be on their own....I want to make sure they establish themselves and that I can be successful with them with as little outside factors as possible....if in the long run it works out I'll go ahead and maybe add a purpie firefish....I love that fish.

Nano: That's an amazing price but I would like to stay away from any seahorse's that are not tank raised for multiple reasons....mostly though because of how much more difficult they are too feed. If this guy happens to have tank raised, I would love the link...thanks.

Glads you going that route. I am going to have Keven from Nemo fish order my seahorse soo. It CT bread and will let you know how that turn out when I get them.

I would HIGHLY recommend obtaining only tank raised seahorses. It seems that many if not most wild caught ones will not take to anything but live food, which leads to great expense and poor nutrition.

In my tank, the companions i have for my four pairs of H. Erectus are:
Firefish
Pyjama Cardinal
Mandarin Goby
Australian Pipefish

The cardinal like to get the first piece of food in the tank, but then lets the seahorses have their fill til they are done.

I think your tank set up is looking great. I would suggest that you worry less about the caves and think about adding more spots to hitch on. Each seahorse is going to have it's own preference about it's favorite hitching spots, apparently based on light, flow, hitching surface, and whats going on in the tank. "Caves" in a seahorse tank are more about having a place to get out of the light and into some shade, rather than making the cave a "house", so If you do have caves big enough for the seahorses to get into, I would recommend adding some type of hitching to the "floor" of these caves, so that when they want to get out of the light, they have a comfortable place to hitch. They spend the majority of their time hitching, so In my opinion (and its only my opinion) making sure there are hitching posts in many different flow/light conidtions is important. Gorgonians work great as hitching spots (and are relatively inexpensive corals) (though I do use some fake Staghorn and Acro types to provide diverse hitching surfaces)

Also, don't count that your seahorses will always be in hiding. In fact, out of my 8 ponies, I only have two that like to "hide". Most of the time at least half, if not most are visible and active, at least during the day (I admit, I dont look at the tank much from 1am - 8am, lol....

You'll find that each seahorse really shows its own personality and preferences, and that's why I recommend initially having lots of different setups in your tank for hitching conditions... Once you have them for a month, you'll know what they're liking and not, and can rearrange accordingly.

Many people also recommend setting up either a natural or artificial feeding station, which the seahorses are easily trained to use. It helps you see how much they are eating, and also allows for an easy chance for visual inspection (for both an alive/dead check, and for spotting signs of disease, etc...). I use an old clam shell piece that I attatched to some rockwork and surrounded with hitching posts.

Also, I suggest rearranging your tank every few months. Even by just moving a piece of coral (real or fake) or a piece or two of live rock, the seahorses seem to become fascinated and immediately take interes in figuring out the new surroundings, flow patterns, etc... It's fantastic to watch.

But again, nice job on the tank. Can't wait to see your ponies when you get them. I think i'll shut up now! :)

I definately reccomend a feeding station- it also helps make sure your seahorses get all the food rather than it getting lodged somewhere and decaying screwing up your params.

A great place to get fairly inexpensive seahorses is
a>  I got mine from here and they were terrifically colored and active as soon as they got into the tank. Their shipping is somewhat expensive (40) but I think their good deal on ponies, their vibrio free garuntee as well as raising conditions balances it.

Hey Lenny: you really cant tell from the pic because its very blurry...I'll take a better pic later....but there are actually a lot of hitching posts because a good bit of the rock is dead sps coral and also some tonga branch.....but even then I do want to add more as I find the right pieces. As for the caves, I think most of them are a result of how "hole-ly" the branch is....so it's kind of hard to put them together without creating caves.....but I very much like the idea of putting some posts at the "floor" of these caves. I'll definitely do that. I do have one photosynthetic gorgonian in there now. I'll probably get more if he does well.

Tedman: Thanks for the link...looks great....I am definitely going to look into these guys.....

Here is a question for you guys....what is the best way to set up a feeding station?

Everyone you ask is gonna have a different answer about how to set up a feeding station, but here's the gist, haha:

You just need a place that is basically a shallow bowl (an old clam shell, a small glass bowl, a hollowed out upside down human skull, its all good). Put a few hitching posts around it (enough so that your seahorses dont try to hitch on each other) and you're good to go.

There are pre-made commercial ones that you can buy, or you can get as fancy as you want. Some people like to incorporate a small powerhead which will stir the food around in the bowl a little, but honestly, it never seems to work right and is more of a pain then its worth.

I've found that although they are much more interested in the food when it's moving, when they are hungry, they'll all come a-running to the feeding station. I try to spice it up for them by using my siphon to gently blow a little jet into the food now and then to make it rise up and they think it's alive, but... they will eat from the non-moving pile of food after a few minutes regardless.

there's tons of different methods and ways out there... just check some of the seahorse oriented websites like seahorse.com (which is the ocean rider site, but the forums are run by Pete Giwojna, who is one of the leading seahorse experts out there and he will personally answer all your questions, along with the input from hobbyists... i cant find the schematics he sent me, but he sent me his own for a feeding station and a hatchery set up.. he's a good dude....) and I know there's a bunch more sites, but I forget the addresses (sygnathid.org? that's ringing a bell....) ..

You'll want to have one of the big siphons to deliver the food to the feeding station, unless you go the route of having a permanent surface tube to deposit the food into. Personally, I like the natural clam shell look, and use the siphon to deliver the food and stir it up a bit now and then....

I also like to feed enriched brine at least once a week, and every few days I keep the current going during feeding (usually, i turn off all the pumps) so that the mysis blows around the tank and they get to hunt for it.

jgoal55 ok i think you can speak to this guy and he will make a deal with you he has tank raised and wild caught so it is just to speak with him he atualy has a pair of tank raised for $32
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220127903789">http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220127903789</a>

he should work something out with you if you speak to him here is a link to his site
[IMG]http://ccritters.com/index.html">http://ccritters.com/index.html</a>

look under dwarf seahorses and you should see about what i was talking about

Wow lots of great info there Lenny. +rep! I'm in the process of putting a seahorse tank together as well. :)

Back