New set up - overflow check valve issues

camellia

Supporting
Reaction score
b40eeaa2135604ae3e5d89acab00578f_zps080ebddd.jpg
alt="" />I've been in the process of setting up a 4', 75 gallon, rimless, tank with center overflow & dual filter socks (forever). There are a lot of kinks I'm still trying to work out. I bought this system used (8 months old). It was set up by Atlanta Aquairum for the original owner.
Last month my baby clown fish got into the over flow. I had to take the hood off, get on a step ladder and get him out. When I shinned a flash light into the overflow it had at least 1/4" of scummy gunk in the bottom. I thought it was mostly dead sponges that I had been cleaning off the glass during cycling the tank and siphoned it out.
Yesterday I was testing an auto feeder on my tank and way too much food came out. I swished it toward the overflow before it could fall down into the tank since I was going to be changing filter socks anyway. After cleaning the glass, vacuuming sand and doing a water change I pulled the socks off to change (felt) and there was very little food in them. Very disturbed I unhooked everything and pulled the hood off to check the overflow only to find all the food on the bottom of the overflow! WTH!
I siphoned it all out, again! But this appears to be a real problem. As best I can see the standpipe (water intake) has a "U" on the end where water being drained.
As stated its a new set up but the filter socks have had very little to no waste and the skimmer is kicking pretty good! How can I remedy all the waste from the tank settling in the bottom of the over flow?

Also

I put a check valve with a float switch on the return line (PVC). When I turn off the pump the check valve THUMPS for about 3 minutes. Do I need to put an air hole somewhere to eliminate this?
Thanks

b40eeaa2135604ae3e5d89acab00578f_zps080ebddd.jpg
>http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg495/hollifields/b40eeaa2135604ae3e5d89acab00578f_zps080ebddd.jpg</a>

Nice tank! I dont have any advice, but I am curious to see suggestions on the overflow issue. I am assuming that there is only one drain?

You're running an apex, right? Are you using feed mode to cut the pumps off at feeding time?

The check valve is thumping due to the competing pressures: one acting downwards from the tank and the other acting upward from the sump. You generally see this when the check valve is installed too low. The sump is trying to equalize and pushing the check valve open while the tank is draining pushing the valve closed.

Make sense?

Skriz;964167 wrote: The check valve is thumping due to the competing pressures: one acting downwards from the tank and the other acting upward from the sump. You generally see this when the check valve is installed too low. The sump is trying to equalize and pushing the check valve open while the tank is draining pushing the valve closed.

Make sense?

It does make sense but I've got 3/4" PVC and 1" check valve to "supposedly" over come that. I wish I wouldn't have used it at all, there's no need.
Any easy fixes?

JBDreefs;964159 wrote: Nice tank! I dont have any advice, but I am curious to see suggestions on the overflow issue. I am assuming that there is only one drain?

Thanks, I love this tank. Yes there is only one drain line.
There are 2 holes in the over flow, one for the drain and the return. The drain splits into two in the sump for 2 socks.
If I take a turkey baster and blow the bottom of the overflow, all the excess food and waste will float up.

Ringo®;964164 wrote: You're running an apex, right? Are you using feed mode to cut the pumps off at feeding time?

Yes I running an apex. I use my iPad to shut it off but I've never set up feed mode. Can I set up my vortech to stop too when using feed mode or is this two steps?

Lepchitz;964267 wrote: I have a tiny powerhead in my overflow churning the water. Works Great!

Well that's an idea! I've never heard of this, anyone else do this?

No, I feed sinking pellets or frozen food with the pump off. But "long term" everything that is pulled in to the over flow ideally should go into the filter socks and skimmer not sit in the bottom of the overflow. What a disaster my phosphates would be!

:fish:
Camellia;964262 wrote: Yes I running an apex. I use my iPad to shut it off but I've never set up feed mode. Can I set up my vortech to stop too when using feed mode or is this two steps?

Anything plugged into the energy bar can be programmed to shut off in feed mode.

Ringo®;964270 wrote: :fish:

Anything plugged into the energy bar can be programmed to shut off in feed mode.

Ya, I need to got busy but what about this over flow crap settling to the bottom? Isn't that unusual?

With a Durso overflow....kind of par for the course. I siphon mine out every other water change or so.

i dont know, but I have dual durso overflow on my 120 and I have very little detritus in my overflow box. I can see it clearly from the bottom of my tank. I am running 1200 gph pump for return which gives lots turn in water. Perhaps little stronger return pump? just a thought.

Also, if you have durso overflow, you might be able to pull out the drop pipe and keep the tank running so it will wash everything down to the sump and into your filter socks. Mine comes right off if i need it too.

project1004;964283 wrote: Also, if you have durso overflow, you might be able to pull out the drop pipe and keep the tank running so it will wash everything down to the sump and into your filter socks. Mine comes right off if i need it too.

I couldn't think of the name (and didn't want to hurt myself) but I believe it is a durso standpipe. My last tank also had a durso, I could see in it from under the stand and it didn't accumulate like this.

Any suggestions on the check valve thumping? Air hole in the lockline maybe?
Thanks

Just an idea but I think it's thumping from back pressure of water back syphoning when retun pump is off. I personally dont have check valve on the return line but it does make little noise when return pump is off from water rushing back down. In your case, back syphon might be too strong compare to the return pump you are using restricting the water to release it's pressure fast enough?
Your return is under water in display and it will continue to come down until water is below the return line. I bet it's coming down very slow if it's takes couple minutes. try to raise the return line little bit up close to the very top of water surface. Looking at the picture, you might be able to take out that flat thing at the vey end of the return!!! it might be restricting the flow rates. It easily pulls out. Try that. What kind of pump are you using for return? flow rate?

Thank you, you just nailed it!
Your correct the thumping is from the back pressure of water, which causes the flap to thump, really hard, not good.
So yes, THANK YOU. I need to break the siphon. Raising the lock line return or removing the flare probably would help but that's where an "air hole" in the line should work also to break the siphon, right?
Oh how I love this club!
Thanks again, PM sent to you

Camellia;964259 wrote: It does make sense but I've got 3/4" PVC and 1" check valve to "supposedly" over come that. I wish I wouldn't have used it at all, there's no need.
Any easy fixes?

That wouldn't make any difference. Raise the check valve and you won't have competing pressures anymore. Ergo, no more thumping.

Skriz;964422 wrote: That wouldn't make any difference. Raise the check valve and you won't have competing pressures anymore. Ergo, no more thumping.

That's not an easy fix.
I'm going to drill an air hole in the top of the lock line to hopefully break the siphon.

Back