New Setup, opinions wanted...

taftonomos

Market
Reaction score
Ok, well, we are going to get this here 50 gallon cube going.

Plan:

Tank has 6 bulkheads in the sides now, 2 .75" and 4 1". Plan is to run the dart sequence pump through an ocean motion super squid, feeding 1/2, 2/3, 3/4, 4/1 of the 1" bulkheads, while letting the Ocean 3500 pump fill the tank back up from the sump. the dart is a bit large for this, so that is my main question, although it's going to be mounted on the side of the tank in the cabinet, and be fed by 2 1" bulkheads with some rock-work supporting PVC. I plan on drilling 50 or more 1/4" holes in the pvc - kinda like a spray bar, only suction.

10 gallon sump with an external mounted MR-1 skimmer driven by a mag 12 pump.

Rancor dual stage controller, one side fans, the other side a 250watt titanium heater.

Lighting is stll being thought out, perhaps you could provide me with some ideas? 150 DE MH? 250? I do have 150watts of VHO I can toss over the tank as well (2 brand new 24") from another tank I broke down. I'd prefer to just run the MH, but I've not had super luck with any tank and MH, not sure why. VHO's have always seemed to work best for me.

Gravity fed top off system, with a DIY Home Depot Kalk reactor.

Ideas, thoughts, jokes?

So I have a Labrador retriever & I was standing in line at Wal-Mart buying a large bag of Purina dog food. The woman behind me asked if I had a dog (?). On impulse, I told her that no, I was starting The Purina Diet. Although I probably shouldn't because I'd ended up in the hospital last time but that I'd lost 50 pounds before I awakened in an intensive care ward with tubes coming out of most of my orifices and IVs in both arms. I told her that it was essentially a perfect diet and that the way that it works is to load your pants pockets with Purina nuggets and simply eat one or two every time you feel hungry. The food is nutritionally complete, so I was going to try it again. I have to mention here that practically everyone in the line was by now enthralled with my story. Horrified, she asked if I'd gotten sick from eating the dog food. I told her no; I'd been sitting on the curb licking my balls and a car hit me.

tsciarini wrote: So I have a Labrador retriever & I was standing in line at Wal-Mart buying a large bag of Purina dog food. The woman behind me asked if I had a dog (?). On impulse, I told her that no, I was starting The Purina Diet. Although I probably shouldn't because I'd ended up in the hospital last time but that I'd lost 50 pounds before I awakened in an intensive care ward with tubes coming out of most of my orifices and IVs in both arms. I told her that it was essentially a perfect diet and that the way that it works is to load your pants pockets with Purina nuggets and simply eat one or two every time you feel hungry. The food is nutritionally complete, so I was going to try it again. I have to mention here that practically everyone in the line was by now enthralled with my story. Horrified, she asked if I'd gotten sick from eating the dog food. I told her no; I'd been sitting on the curb licking my balls and a car hit me.

What in the Hell are you talking about? HAHAHA!!!!!! You are very random. What did this have to do with the question asked?

tsciarini wrote: So I have a Labrador retriever & I was standing in line at Wal-Mart buying a large bag of Purina dog food. The woman behind me asked if I had a dog (?). On impulse, I told her that no, I was starting The Purina Diet. Although I probably shouldn't because I'd ended up in the hospital last time but that I'd lost 50 pounds before I awakened in an intensive care ward with tubes coming out of most of my orifices and IVs in both arms. I told her that it was essentially a perfect diet and that the way that it works is to load your pants pockets with Purina nuggets and simply eat one or two every time you feel hungry. The food is nutritionally complete, so I was going to try it again. I have to mention here that practically everyone in the line was by now enthralled with my story. Horrified, she asked if I'd gotten sick from eating the dog food. I told her no; I'd been sitting on the curb licking my balls and a car hit me.

Too funny:)

Yeah, this post isn't worth anything without pics!

Mufret... do you want to see pictures of him on the curb or do you want pictures of the tank in progress? You quoted the Purina Diet story. :)

All jokes aside....

I think your plan sounds great. I have a few thoughts, though... With only 50+ gallons total volume, you may run into heat issues with a mag 12, OR 3500, and a dart (esp with halides). If you've got a side cabinet for equipment, you could easily fit a 1/5 hp chiller in there that would do the trick, as long as you ventilate it. I do think the dart may be a little much for the CL, but that really depends on what you're doing. Many LPS might have a hard time in there, but I bet SPS would love it, so if you're going with a full SPS tank, it's probably fine. Also remember that the dart is a low rpm flow pump, and doesn't like too much restriction. plumb the two 1" intakes to a single 1.5" pipe to feed the dart, and get a SS with the 1.5" input if they have that.

I'm guessing the two extra .75" bulkheads are the drain and return lines to and from the sump?

Other than that, sounds pretty good... are you planning a sand bed? I might think about bare bottom with that kind of flow...

Oh, increase your sump size and add a refugium if there is room!

I'm rethinking the dart pump actually, as I'm a bit worried it might be to much flow really. I bet I could get by with something a bit more tame for the CLS. I love frogspawn, hammers, torch corals, etc....so the tank is going to have to accomidate them as well.

Never been a fan of a bare bottom tank, but I'll look into it.

I have an iwaki 40 rlxt that would be perfect for a closed loop that size of you're interested. (send a pm so I make sure to respond)

Back