New setup

jbt24

Market
Reaction score
I just setup a 40 gallon corner tank and it has been up and running since monday. I just went to salt water city today and purchased 55 lbs of liverock. It has been about 2 years since i have been in the hobbey so i might be a little rusty. My question is how long do i let the tank cycle? Once i get all of my parameters under control it is good to start adding inverts, corals fish? I have been doing a lot of reading and i have read some that say you should do a 6 week cycle where you start adding inverts at the 4th week and by the 6th week you are adding fish and corals. I am sure there are a lot of different views on this subject but i would greatful for any feedback.

Good luck with everything. Im in the same boat with a new setup and will be watching this post as well. These guys sure know their stuff so we'll be up and running in no time!:thumbs:

rock, then wait a week then add a good CUC, then wait another week and add corals and fish, do you have a skimmer ?

I'd let MINIMUM 4-6 weeks--I know it's painful to sit and watch an empty tank for that long-but it will be rewarded with more healthy LS and everything--I'd prob. put in a fish or maybe two and a few inverts. Corals can depend-I'd make sure the tank wasa little more established (if it were me), though.

It depends on the quality of the live rock and if its cured or not. If you bought cured rock the cycle is a lot shorter. Adding some sand from an established tank will speed things along too. I'm sure most of the members on this site would give you a couple cups of their sand. Your welcome to some of mine but I'm down in Decatur.

throw everything in and a few hail mary's j/k Wait for parameters to spike and come back down...add inverts, wait for bloom to end and add "FUN" (key word) sometimes we forget that..

Best of luck

Add live sand and it will speed up the process big time. If you got the rock from Sal, then it should be fully cured.

Instead of time, test the water. Once the cycle is complete, it's complete and you can start adding livestock.

Even though the cycle is complete, you can expect certain die-off due to it being a new setup. I would add fish first, corals last. Softies would be okay at this point as they'd fare out okay, but sps and lps would not.

take it slow and you'll save a lot of heartache and money.

if you want a cup of sand, lmk.

welcome to the ARC

I do have a skimmer and the rock i got came from a previous setup which i am very happy with the rock is covered in purple and green.

I have 40 lbs of the fuji pink in my tank, but if other sand would help i am all for it.

Back