New Skimmer pump or skimmer?

jbadd99

Market
Reaction score
Short story:

I have a Reef Octopus Extreme 200 with an older Sicce PSK-2500 that stopped working.

I've been contemplating whether I replace just the venturi pump or the whole shebang. I've been eyeing the Bubble Blaster HY-3000S, which is a direct bolt-up replacement for the PSK. It runs around 425gph and 39 SCFH, or do I go with a larger pump, say 800 gph? Other suggestions?

Stay the same size... Larger pumps will hurt the skimmer. To much glow=overflow.

Just my $.02

That Bubble blaster is a great pump. FWIW- My skimmer runs a Reeflo Orca Gold Dart needle wheel. I've asked the manufacturer of my skimmer if I ever wanted to upgrade it to a Hammerhead needle wheel would it be ok. In my skimmer's case, they said no problem. You just adjust your output and make a frothier foam in the chamber. (You could shave with it!) I would think that would translate to any skimmer but I don't build skimmers for a living.

I agree with above, but, how much adjustment do you have left? If you are close to all the way open, I think it would flow to much water.

And again, I am no skimmer manufacturer either...

Just my $.02

A huge fundamental difference in mine vs yours is it's a recirculating skimmer. One pump to feed and one to run the venturi. That leaves me more flexibility.

Back