New Sump Questions

dawgfan

Market
Reaction score
Ok, I just got a used sump and overflow and would like some tips on how to set it up. I currently have a aqua c protein skimmer on back of tank.

Question is with this type of sump, I guess I fill up with bio balls and use a filter pad on the top. I would like suggestions on a skimmer and what size pump do i need for the return? also if there is a better way to set it up I'm all ears don't want to do it twice.

I have a 75 gallon tank and the sump is 24 Lx16hx11w (20 gallons???)

Thanks
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
369671=18148-overflow.jpg
>
369671=18148-overflow.jpg
class="gc-images" title="overflow.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
369671=18149-sump.jpg
>
369671=18149-sump.jpg
class="gc-images" title="sump.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Well...if your gonna use a wet-dry like this...I would use live rock rubble instead of bio-balls. They have been found to be more harm that good. Trapping detrius= nitrate factory.

I had something like this for my 75 when I 1st got it but I built a sump/fuge out of a 40 breeder instead.

+1 on the live rock. There are differences of opinion on that but thats just my personal preference. Anyway, just put LR/ bio-balls under the tray and whatever type of filter pad you would like on top. That could be a poly pad or even the felt type pad. Whatever you use be sure to clean or replace on a regular basis. The cheap pads you cut yourself can just be tossed and replaced with a new one while the felt pads can be cleaned over and over before being replaced.
Skimmer- get the biggest and best one you can afford and that will fit in the sump if thats where you would like to put it. I say that because as your bio-load grows in your tank eventually you will spend the money to upgrade so why not just get it now?
Return pump- A mag 5,7 or 9 will do you just fine.

If it were me, I'd modify the top plate to accept a filter sock, but the poly media is OK. Live rock rubble underneath, and skimmer/heater in the large compartment. As chefrepo said, any of those Mag Drives will do for the return. The larger pump volumes will help flow in the tank. NOTE: If you don't know the model of the HOB overflow (so you can look up it's gph flow numbers), then keep in mind that a big honkin' return pump may outrun it and overflow the tank, though it would take a pretty small overflow for this to be the case. You definitely want to check it to be safe.

If you were going to in some way incorporate a fuge, I'd go with a 5 to slow the flow of water through the fuge.

One thing to consider is that a smaller return pump will give you more contact time for the skimmer and make it work more efficiently. If you have adequate powerheads in the tank (and therefore don't need a whole bunch of extra flow) I'd use a 5 or 7. I have a 5 on my 90g, and I get much better skimmer performance than when I was running a 9.5 on the return.

If you don't already have it or have it planned, I'd definitely allow room for float switches for an ATO. In-sump skimmers need a consistent water level or you'll run yourself crazy trying to adjust it. Speaking of water level, remember to allow room for extra water if the power goes out... and search threads for how to drill a siphon break in the U pipe. It takes careful planning to reduce</em> the chances of flooding with a HOB unit.

Back