new tank advise

rodriguez

Market
Reaction score
i had stared my 180 gallon tank about 4 weeks and it is going true the cycle right now, so no corals and no fish yet but i need some advice from the members, while my tank cycle i want to get what i need, i want to go SPS but should i buy a calcium reactor now or a dozing pumps to add calcium also i have 3 radion g3 pro should that be enough light or do i need more, thanks

I would guess the lighting would be fine. Some prefer metal halide but those should do fine in my opinion. I have never had a vacuum reactor and have just now started using dosing pumps. The pumps are a piece of cake and a God send in my opinion. But, I believe a calcium reactor would do a better job. In my case, it was a matter of in titian investment. The dosing pumps were very cheap by comparison. If I had more money to invest at the time, I would have gone reactor.

rdnelson99;1016767 wrote: I would guess the lighting would be fine. Some prefer metal halide but those should do fine in my opinion. I have never had a vacuum reactor and have just now started using dosing pumps. The pumps are a piece of cake and a God send in my opinion. But, I believe a calcium reactor would do a better job. In my case, it was a matter of in titian investment. The dosing pumps were very cheap by comparison. If I had more money to invest at the time, I would have gone reactor.

hit the nail on the head IMO.

is a reactor that much better. I am just getting into the dosing as well.I was looking into a Doser but could change my mind and do it by hand for a while.

I've found a need for both in my 180. I run a Ca reactor and alone it would probably be fine and it does a superb job of keeping my Ca, Alk, and Mg in balance...something my previous dosing couldn't do. Given what I've heard recently, I may pull the doser out and put a kalkwasser stirrer in while still running the Ca reactor.

Your tank is large enough that the calcium reactor is definitely the way to go.

R

thank you guys for all of the advice, i was looking at the DOS dosser from Neptune and it cost $349.99 and the Skimz Monzter CM122 External Calcium Reactor on BRS at $349.99 so the only different will be the additional equipment for the reactor, but i din't know if i will need the reactor on a new tank with probably a few frags that i will get to start the tank and of course i don't want to spend money twice by buying the dosser now and later the reactor, i was thinking to get the ATI 60 Inch 4x80W SunPower in addition to the radion's for more lighting will that be too much lighting? thanks

Honestly, you won't need any of it for at least 6 months to a year. Unless you buy large SPS colonies, a quality salt (mix) with furnish your corals with what they are needing as frags.

What you will need:
Get you some quality test kits (no API)! Then you will know if and when you need to start supplementing...
An RODI, refractometer & TDS.
A quality skimmer will also be a must or you will never need any of the above in your question :)
What's your plan for flow?
Do you want a controller? Apex?
Ching Ching :)

Oh, won't need any additional LED lighting. You may decide later to supplement with MH like I do with my Radion but only time will tell. Don't waste your money now, you may change your mind on what you want to keep. Take care of the must haves for all coral (100% if SPS ) and believe me, the money will add up faster than you can imagine.

Swing by and take a look at the MRC CR1; it's a MUCH better unit than a skimz at the same price point.

Although the corals won't necessarily need a reactor right now, we'd advise getting one online before you absolutely need one. Not only will it give you time to get familiar with how it operates, it'll allow you to tweak it (and all while you have no colonists to lose if you do something wrong!).

Now, you can use a high quality salt mix and hold off on dosing or a reactor for a while (depending on your husbandry practices). In the long run, the reactor will be your most economical and stable option.

SEA Atlanta;1017007 wrote: Swing by and take a look at the MRC CR1; it's a MUCH better unit than a skimz at the same price point.

Although the corals won't necessarily need a reactor right now, we'd advise getting one online before you absolutely need one. Not only will it give you time to get familiar with how it operates, it'll allow you to tweak it (and all while you have no colonists to lose if you do something wrong!).

Now, you can use a high quality salt mix and hold off on dosing or a reactor for a while (depending on your husbandry practices). In the long run, the reactor will be your most economical and stable option.
thanks rit

Camellia;1016999 wrote: Honestly, you won't need any of it for at least 6 months to a year. Unless you buy large SPS colonies, a quality salt (mix) with furnish your corals with what they are needing as frags.

What you will need:
Get you some quality test kits (no API)! Then you will know if and when you need to start supplementing...
An RODI, refractometer & TDS.
A quality skimmer will also be a must or you will never need any of the above in your question :)
What's your plan for flow?
Do you want a controller? Apex?
Ching Ching :)

Oh, won't need any additional LED lighting. You may decide later to supplement with MH like I do with my Radion but only time will tell. Don't waste your money now, you may change your mind on what you want to keep. Take care of the must haves for all coral (100% if SPS ) and believe me, the money will add up faster than you can imagine.
thank you for your advice Camellia, i do have all of the items that you have mentioned.
hanna checkers test for calcium and alkalinity
salifert test for Mag
BRS 6 stage RO/DI with tds
Refractometer i got the Milwaukee digital
skimmer is reef octopus regal 10 rated for 600 gallon
2 MP60 for flow
and Apex controler
half way there i think, so you thing i should go with MH instead of T5's if the tank need more lighting? thank you

SEA Atlanta;1017007 wrote: Swing by and take a look at the MRC CR1; it's a MUCH better unit than a skimz at the same price point.

what is your address, thank you

rodriguez;1017057 wrote: thank you for your advice Camellia, i do have all of the items that you have mentioned.
hanna checkers test for calcium and alkalinity
salifert test for Mag
BRS 6 stage RO/DI with tds
Refractometer i got the Milwaukee digital
skimmer is reef octopus regal 10 rated for 600 gallon
2 MP60 for flow
and Apex controler
half way there i think, so you thing i should go with MH instead of T5's if the tank need more lighting? thank you

i would go with t5's, everyone has their preferences and both options will do the job but i would wait and see if you will need them in the future at this point i think you will be ok with just radions. but if you are looking to get more/different color go with t5's if you are looking for more par go with halides.

side note. t5's can put out tons of par too but they usually take up more room to get that par.

Picoreefguy;1017196 wrote: i would go with t5's, everyone has their preferences and both options will do the job but i would wait and see if you will need them in the future at this point i think you will be ok with just radions. but if you are looking to get more/different color go with t5's if you are looking for more par go with halides.

side note. t5's can put out tons of par too but they usually take up more room to get that par.
thank you thats what i was thinking to use, the T5's if needed and since this is in wall setup i don't mine hanging a bunch of lights in the back. thanks

Awesome job on the equipment! So many that come into the hobby buy cheap equipment at first, only to realize they wasted their money. I'm sure you will be very happy with your selection!

I agree with Picoreef, you can make that decision when and if needed. Sounds like your good for awhile.

Let's see a few Pic's?

Too bad your tanks not ready, Sea Atlanta has some beautful stuff in stock right now!

Camellia;1018133 wrote: Awesome job on the equipment! So many that come into the hobby buy cheap equipment at first, only to realize they wasted their money. I'm sure you will be very happy with your selection!

I agree with Picoreef, you can make that decision when and if needed. Sounds like your good for awhile.

Let's see a few Pic's?

Too bad your tanks not ready, Sea Atlanta has some beautful stuff in stock right now!

thanks, it just stared the cycle last night, so it will be ready soon i hope.

Back