New Tank Diatoms

jcook54

Secretary
Staff member
Supporting
Contest Committee
Reaction score
Hey gang, I set up a 20g all in one a few weeks ago and planed on doing a light-free cycle. Well, my Daughter pointed out that she really like the way the tank looked lit and that plan got pitched. So I've been running the lights and now I've got phase 1 of the new tank uglies...diatoms. They aren't bad but the little rust colored spots on the sand and rocks are slowly growing and I'm looking for input. When I've cycled in the past, I've always just let them go and do there thing. I mean, it's a normal part of the cycle and if it starts looking really bad, I can do a small water change or cut the light cycle. I'm in no hurry and have been ghost feeding to promote bacterial growth. I saw a little ammonia spike a week or so into the process but that's now gone away. I've got a spare O. clown that I might catch and put in there just so the kiddo has something to watch.

Any issue that y'all can think of with keeping the lights on and growing diatoms? Should it be addressed in any way? The plan is to just let it go but I'm curious what you all think.

Back