New Tank

gtox44

Market
Reaction score
This is my first saltwater tank. I have heard that using tapwater is bad. What is so bad about it and what am I supposed to use instead?

it contains disolved metal from the pipes it is run through, has lots of excess nutrients, causes algae in tank, nothing really good about it at all. Go to a fish store and get R.O. water or buy an R.O. Filter to make your water. Also let us know about your settup up and im sure everyone is willing to help give some knowledge. Also READ READ READ for days and days. To be successful in this hobby i truly believe you have to have a passion for it. I read and research this stuff more then i rightfully should lol but thats bc i love saltwater :D also check out Reefcentral.com and look at the getting started threads under the new to hobby forum. That as well as this board are great places to learn and start.

It really does depend on your local water and what you are keeping.

My RODI froze/exploded last winter and I used tap water until I eventually shut the tank down. Anyone who saw my tank would say algae was not a problem in my tank. My softies did great as did LPS. Some SPS did good (montis caps, a couple of colored sticks).

I use it in my pico as well where I have a nice chalice, some rare/LE zoas and palys, a branching sun coral and various others and no problems.

When I test my water, it is usually sub-40 for TDS which is pretty good. I also don't have phosphates.

With my new tank, I'll be using RODI just to be on the safe side.

I believe there are other reefers that have used tap successfully as well.

LorenK;315176 wrote: It really does depend on your local water and what you are keeping.

My RODI froze/exploded last winter and I used tap water until I eventually shut the tank down. Anyone who saw my tank would say algae was not a problem in my tank. My softies did great as did LPS. Some SPS did good (montis caps, a couple of colored sticks).

I use it in my pico as well where I have a nice chalice, some rare/LE zoas and palys, a branching sun coral and various others and no problems.

When I test my water, it is usually sub-40 for TDS which is pretty good. I also don't have phosphates.

With my new tank, I'll be using RODI just to be on the safe side.

I believe there are other reefers that have used tap successfully as well.

Ehh ive heard of this success in some cases as well but ive heard more bad things about it then good. I def. dont think R.O. filters are just a marketing scheme ;) But yes it is possible to have a successful reef with tap i suppose i just wouldnt attempt it on my tank, My first tank was one i bought for $20 a 15 gallon cube and it had insane algae problems bc amongst other things im sure tap water contributed or made it worse. And Algae is a pain to control once it starts to get bad. R.O. can be bought at just about any fishstore around. Where do you live? Check out the Sponsor map for the store closest to you. R.o. fresh is usually .50 a gallon i think and salt is about a 1.00

You can get RO water from Publix from their water machine. It had better tds (total disolved solids) under 10 everytime (which was better than all the lfs had that I tested).

Have your local water supply tested for copper and phosphates. If those are low, you could consider tap water......

If not, walmart sells RO water, the store I buy water from runs a typical 000 to 001 in TDS.....

Walmart= 33 cents/gallon
Publix= 30 cents a gallon

I ran a successful reef for years with tap water, you just need to know whats in it first

As others have said, you're taking a gamble with using tap water. There's a range of acceptable nutrients allowed in tap water, so you may or may not be lucky.

You'll have a much better success probability if you start with RO water from the beginning. The problems caused by using tap water (usually algae) are a tough battle if you decide down the road you need to switch.

I think you can get a cheap unit new off ebay for around $60 - do yourself a favor and buy one from the beginning.

If you decide to join the ARC, You can come to my house and tote out as much as 200 gallons.

How big is your tank?

Look at the water quality report from your provider. If it is City of Atlanta I don't think I would even attempt it. I ran my tank on tap the first 5 months without issue and Prime water conditioner by Seachem. Probably would still be doing it but a member here was selling a NIB R/O unit for 50 bucks so I decided to use R/O. I do not think R/O is a marketing ploy either but I think if the quality of your tap water is acceptable then there's nothing wrong with using it.

Unlike others, I've had very bad experiences with local tap water. The tank we used tap water on has cost a small fortune in additives to try to correct multiple problems including off the chart phosphates, hair algae from hell, and now cyno so bad I've completely broken down the tank, scrubbed all the rock, vacuumed the substrate, gone 3 days without light and the thing is STILL covered with cyno.

Currently, the only thing growing in that tank is cyno - we've removed all the corals, fish and macro algae before the water killed them all.

And the cyno is still taking over.

Back