New to reefing - starting with a nano- any input is helpful!

kels13m

Reaction score
I know that this runs against the majority of the advice on the internet, but I can only fit a 20 gallon in my apartment at the moment, so that's what I'm going with. I've already got four planted freshwater tanks set up around the place and they have been running successfully for the last 3 years, so while I AM new to reef keeping, I am not a stranger to tank maintenance in the long term.

That being said... I've done quite a  bit of research and at this point only have the tank- getting lights and some other components this weekend and planning on getting fully going in the next month, but I thought I'd ask some questions from those with experience-

What was the most challenging/unexpected part of keeping a nano reef?

What types of salt would you recommend for a newb? - interested in keeping a variety of coral but not specifically needing any one type if it wont work. Also taking into consideration budget and ease of maintenance over time.

Diseases/illness in reef tanks- I haven't seen much about this on the net generally, but what should I be on the lookout for?

Coral affordability/color- I've noticed that a lot of casual hobbyists keep corals that are dull or brownish in color- is this what the majority of corals look like (and have I been brainwashed by disney to think the oceans are full of color??) or are these keepers doing something wrong? Also- where do you find affordable/beautiful corals- better in trades or at LFS?

Interesting stocking ideas for a 20 gal? I'm not attached to any particular type of fish or inverts, but I like keeping quirky stuff in my FW tanks (puffers, shrimp, gobies) what would be happy and interesting for a nano reef setup?

Also any general pointers are also welcome, as related to reef keeping generally or nano tanks specifically.

Thanks guys!

Keeping a nano can be challenging, especially as your first tank but it does not have to be. If you set yourself up for success then you will have success. The number one thing you have to remember is that corals are sensitive to any change in there environment (i.e. fluctuations in water parameters). If a coral is constantly having to acclimate to the ever-changing water conditions then it will not grow. In nano's water conditions can change very very quickly, which is bad. One of the fastest changing parameter is salinity, this is due to evaporation and even with a lid on a nano tank which helps to let less water evaporate out the salinity still changes enough to disrupt coral growth. IT IS VERY RECOMMENDED  TO GET A AUTO TOP OFF, this will let the salinity of the water stay constant. If you want to make your life easy get a good reef salt, everyone has there own opinion on what salt is the best but i personally like and use red seas Coral Pro salt. I already has the elevated levels of calcium magnesium and KH. That way you will only have to dose trace elements and phyto. i personally would not get any fish in your tank for at least a few months so that the nitrates stay lower.

I have found that beyond the basics of filtration, lighting and regular water changes its very important to look at how your water is moving through the tank. Find the sweet spot for your power heads and make sure you don't have any dead spots! Also using a turkey baster to blow off your rocks weekly helps a ton to keep detritus from building up over time. I don't dose or skim my 20long - I do a 4gal water change weekly and it keeps my tank balanced...

I would check out this video that showcases several low maintenance small reef tanks. It helps you realize that as intimidating as the hobby is, it can be made to be simpler than you think.

https://youtu.be/vTOcowffdMs

I’ve had nanos most of the time in the hobby, as long as you realize the system’s limitations and don’t try to exceed them you’re good. 20 gallons is larger than half the tanks I’ve kept.

a 20 gallon reef shouldn’t have more than 4 (small) fish, 3 would be better and 2 would be ideal. Leave plenty of elbow  room for coral to grow. Be picky about which coral you choose, as you only have so much display space.

Do something cool with your aquascaping to give the tank visual impact while giving you space to grow out your corals. If you’re budget minded, research bonsai reefs, which is the minimalist approach to stocking a reef, and utilizes negative space well (and negative space is free! :) )

as far as color goes, you get what you pay for, but often with greater color comes higher maintainence to maintain those colors (visual texture and pattern is important too, along with color placement).

glad to see new people join the hobby!

Remember nothing in this hobby comes fast.  Take it slow, especially stocking your livestock.

Ditto on the ato

I reccomend an all-in-one tank. RODI, auto top off, a sump/skimmer, and decent light (no RODI means relying on an open store for water or energency saltwater-typically sold at 1.023 and not 1.025/6). I would reccomend taking it very slow, and progress patiently, especially financially. Learning twice in the saltwater hobby hits the wallet hard. Do you have an idea of what you want in your tank? Typically, better looking livestock is more exspensive and harder to keep. I would reccomend starting slow with softies. SPS dives deep into cal, alk, mg, po4, etc., then you become obsessed and buy all the nic nacs only to find out you want to go bigger and buy all the nic nacs twice lol Biocubes are a great starter, quiet, easy. You can get a used one for $80

Learning curves

Sand vs. bare bottom

Sump vs. no sump

Biological vs. mechanical filtration

Skimmer percs

RODI vs. distilled

Salinity, flow, led vs. t5 vs. halides, temp settings

Coral types and requirements to keep and grow (flow, lighting, height in tank, chemical warfare, growth rate, etc.)

Cal, alk, mg, po4, ph, no3, no4, nh, etc. stability

Pest and how to deal with them

Everyone else has given you the best advice. I am newer to the hobby myself and learned that if you want it to be right your gonna have to wait. I would buy a ATO soon because it will be your best friend for sure. Hold luck with everything and cant wait to see some updates.

Just to chime in, I absolutely love my Red Sea Nano, but you won’t find one for $80. It truly is plug and play with a decent skimmer, a great light (AI prime hd), an ATO, and great looks. Good luck!

Most important things are water quality, lighting depending on what corals, and flow. Try not to skimp on those things.

I was setup my aio 24g tank with live rock and live sand. 1 bottle dr tim. I wasn’t cycle and add coral and fish after 24 h. ( it was 2 clown fishs and about 5 LPS corals
Filtration: coton > media( bio & matrix)>skimmer
Salt water from lfs,
Auto top-off( I use a distilled water from everywhere)
Ai prime light (running at 50%)
Ai nero 5 (running at 10%)
Cleaning group: 6 nails, 20 hermit crab, 1 cleaning shrimp
Clamp
4 fish and 30+ coral
My tank is full of LPS coral, so I dont dose anything but water change 10% every week. Im running my tank 2 month now and haven’t seen any problems sine day 1.
I feed a fishs small amount everyday, and corals 2 time a week( 1 spot feeding)
As long as I dont touch my corals, theyre very happy. E12F435E-241F-45AC-A5B7-37AAED8D3B97.jpeg

Last edited:
I would check out this video that showcases several low maintenance small reef tanks. It helps you realize that as intimidating as the hobby is, it can be made to be simpler than you think.

interesting video saved.
im trying to move over to a smaller nano tank in the future as well this helps

Back