New to salt...algae driving me crazy

coolsurf

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am new to the club and look forward to meeting many of you and learning a great deal along the way.

I Just recently graduated to saltwater with a 24 gal Aquapod and thought everything was going well until I developed this major algae problem across my sand. I had a lot of algae on the rocks and backside but that part is getting under control with my new cleanup crew (6 Astrea snails, 4 hermit crabs and 2 Emerald crabs). My sand however is starting to look sad :sad: with all the brown and green algaes building up on it. I have added a purple mushroom coral which is doing well so I need to keep the lights on for a decent length of time as well. My parameters look good so I am a bit taken as to what I can do...or nothing at this point. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks.

How long did the tank cycle with just rocks/sand/water before you started adding stuff? Do Aquapods have skimmers and are you using one? (not familiar enough with them). You said you "graduated to saltwater with a 24g aquapod". Does this mean it used to be a FW aquapod? If so, did you change the bulbs out for the saltwater ones or keep the old bulbs? FW bulbs in a saltwater tank will probably cause algae city.

You may need more clean up crew. I'd bring up the total hermit and snail population to 10-12 each (i.e. another 5 or so each)

Algae building up on the sand, if it's the fine size or is actually cyanobacteria, may indicate insufficient flow.

Thanks for the replies. What I meant by graduated is I have been doing African Cichlids for some time now and I am finally moving into saltwater. Sorry for the confusion.

My ammonia levels are "0"
NO2..."0"
NO3..."15"
Salinity/Gravity...1.024

The Aquapod tank was established but not maintained upon purchase. It had cured live rock, live sand and beautiful coraline growth on the rock and back wall of the tank. I removed approx. 2/3 of the water and replaced it with new saltwater purchased from MF. It had a couple of asterina stars in it, several featherdusters, a blue legged hermit crab and some odd piece of polyp in it which is now doing quite well.

The aquapod is an all in one marine tank equipped with filtration (sponge or bio balls), powerhead, lights (day, night, and LED), and cooling fans. It is very simular to the biocube.

Thanks.

By the way, the algae is more of a greenish and brownish coverage on the sand and a tad on the glass which I scrape daily.

Thanks

Nitrates are high.... Do some WC. There may have been a small cycle when it was moved. Did you keep all the sand and rock? If so there was probably die off from the rock and the sand bed may have gotten stirred up some, releasing some nutrients into the system.

I did stir the sand up pretty good and have done a couple small water changes so far. My NO3's don't seem to be dropping...just hanging around the same point no matter what. Will they drop??? I'll do another small WC tomorrow morning as well.

Thanks.

I'd say remove the sponge/bio balls if you have them in there and replace it with a bag of something like Purigen. You could keep the sponge for physical filtration, but you need to get an extra so you can completely clean it weekly or twice weekly (replacing with the alternate while you clean, bleach, cure with chlorine killer, and then rinse/dry the other). Otherwise it turns into a nitrate source from aerobic waste processing.

I take it that there is no protein skimmer on this? You'll definitely want to do weekly water changes of 15-20% or so to keep that down. I don't know what MF charges for water, but over the long haul, it might be cheaper to pick up a RODI filter and mix your own. Or start mixing from RODI water you buy from MF then eventually buy an RODI filter.

Agreed with Nick that the problem is likely that the move caused a cycle. It's impossible to move a tank without having a cycle which means amonia spike, then nitrate. Water changes are your cure for this, but limit it to 30% max every week to keep the stress on your livestock at a minimum. Even moving from bad water to good will cause stress.

I appreciate everyone's input very much. I will do another small wc in the morning and pick up a secondary sponge the weekend. I presume I should remove the bioballs? I've heard good and bad about them with the latest being just keep them cleaned regularly. I am not familiar with Purigen. Is this readily available at your local pet store or at MF? I will continue doing weekly wc as well...kind of already in the habit with my cichlids anyway. I am presuming that the algae will work itself out all in due time then...I hope!

Thanks again guys.

coolsurf;248460 wrote: I presume I should remove the bioballs? I've heard good and bad about them with the latest being just keep them cleaned regularly.

I wouldn't remove them all at once. At most, 1/3 of them a week. If you remove all at once you can possible cause an ammonia spike.

Also, if you clean them, then you kill all the nitrobacter and defeat the purpose of having them in the first place. :)

Purigen is usually at most LFS, I keep some in stock always. It is a great product. You have to use a fine micron bag or you will get the stuff everywhere.

Thanks,
Tim

Thanks Barbara. I still have my african setup which I love and I am enjoying the challenge of SW. Everyone I have met so far through ARC seem real nice and helpful. Have a great thanksgiving. Larry

Back