newbe help mushrooms

ls1boost

Market
Reaction score
hello everyone i am new to this site and saltwater in general so dont flame me to bad i love this site. ok i recived a 55 bow tanks with rena xp2 filter 35lb live rock live sand and compact light and i went and broke it down from the people and transported to my house of course stupid me put the sand and rock in the tank and figured to filter would clean it all up which it did but i got a bacteria bloom from the sand which i dident know at the time (learning from my mistakes for my 125 setup) some of the rocks in the tank had some green mushrooms on them i thought the bloom killed them but im not so sure now alot of them have seemed to open back up but there not green there more red i have been using purple up and the stress coat bio booster, my question is will the mushrooms regrow to normal or are they dead and thats y there red and if thy are dead what do i do do i scrub them off or let them deterierate and advice would be helpful for this newbe thanks in advance, mark

The sand probably just irritated them, as far as changing colors, that could be a lighting issue. Give it some time, I'm sure the shrooms are dfine. Most dead corals don't linger, they just completely disappear.

If you don't already have a good test kit, you'll need one so get it now. You may have caused a small cycle by moving/reinstalling the sand. If you did, the 'shrooms may be OK (or maybe not, I truly don't know) but you definitely need to know this before fish go in.
And like Dak said, the color could be a lighting issue (though I don't think so if these are the same lights that were on the tank all along). If the mushrooms are toast, I think you're fine to just leave them there. They won't be a problem and sometimes the things that bounce back after you thought they were lost can surprise you.

Be aware that if you plan to keep more variety in the way of corals you'll need stronger lighting before long.

Another "be aware"... you'll find a lot of people hate canister filters. The main reason is they'll burn you if you don't clean them regularly. Maintain them on schedule and IMO you'll be fine with one... though a little more good LR and a quality skimmer would be better (again, IMO).

ok good i hope there ok, yes i have the test kit and the ph is 8.3 ammo-0 nitrate-0 and nitrite-0 now it has been a month or so i just dident know how the mushrooms worked for a while they were looking srivvled up and rough but i have been using that purple up and stress coat bacteria stuff for a week now and the have seemed to purked up just not the collor they were anyway thanks

ls1boost;365517 wrote: hello everyone i am new to this site and saltwater in general so dont flame me to bad i love this site. ok i recived a 55 bow tanks with rena xp2 filter 35lb live rock live sand and compact light and i went and broke it down from the people and transported to my house of course stupid me put the sand and rock in the tank and figured to filter would clean it all up which it did but i got a bacteria bloom from the sand which i dident know at the time (learning from my mistakes for my 125 setup) some of the rocks in the tank had some green mushrooms on them i thought the bloom killed them but im not so sure now alot of them have seemed to open back up but there not green there more red i have been using purple up and the stress coat bio booster, my question is will the mushrooms regrow to normal or are they dead and thats y there red and if thy are dead what do i do do i scrub them off or let them deterierate and advice would be helpful for this newbe thanks in advance, mark

Actually, my green mushrooms all have a red underside, so you are probably just seeing angry mushrooms over the move.

Leave them be and they will change back to "normal." If there is sand on them, however, it wouldn't hurt to use a new turkey baster (that hasn't been put in dish soap) and blow the sand off gently.

Hey Mark....

Yeah....in my not so vast experience, I can tell you shrooms don't seem to need much. The rock that I had up on craigslist was (and still is) in a rubbermaid container with a power head moving the water on my covered front porch for a couple of weeks (now its been a month) when I noticed a couple of shrooms that I hadn't seen before. They are still doing well and the only thing I do to the water is top it off to accomodate for the slight evaporation and keep it moving.

And before you can make another Post on ARC Give up the info behind that Username... LS1 Boost ? 98-01 Camaro or Trans-Am possibly a Vette but what could you mean by Boost. Hmmmmm... Turbo????

i got you, my first car 99 camaro z28 got it a week before my 16th birthday(24 now) and built it with slp headers, slp loudmouth exhaust, cam procharger supercharger, lowered 2.5in, xenon body kit, chrome z06 rims, a beauty i dont know where the name came up but i have used it for a while on forums and stuff gave it up for a import:confused2: 1995 acura nsx comptec supercharged

Back