Newbie questions

jason7274

Market
Reaction score
Has anyone used a fake anemone to host clowns? Because my tank is so new and I’m not putting any coral or anems for several months, I was wondering if it that’s an option. If so, recommendations? If clowns do host, can I swap with a BTA afterwards? One of my clowns had only been in the tank for a week, but seems stressed because he is swimming up and down the glass. I thought a fake anem may help.

Has anyone used a fake anemone to host clowns? Because my tank is so new and I’m not putting any coral or anems for several months, I was wondering if it that’s an option. If so, recommendations? If clowns do host, can I swap with a BTA afterwards? One of my clowns had only been in the tank for a week, but seems stressed because he is swimming up and down the glass. I thought a fake anem may help.
Clowns host just about anything- they can host a corner in your tank, a rock, a probe, a powerhead, etc...,- they are weird in what they chose to host. And it might not be what you want them to host. That being said, some folks do use plastic anemones for their clowns esp in breeding situations, but it is not necessary.

I agree....I have a pair of clowns that host the back top right corner of my display tank. I have another clown in the same tank that host in an anemone right below them. And they still dont host in a nem that has walked up the wall and is right there in the same corner. They do what they want to do. Some people swear by showing their clowns videos or pictures of other clowns hosting a nem and that has helped. Some people Put the clowns and a nem in an acclimation box to try and get them to host. So there are many ways to TRY but at the end of the day its up to the clown.

Thanks for the info! An acclimation box is an interesting idea. I’ve got a bit of time before I can introduce a live anem. I did see a few clowns hosting to softies at Atlanta Aquarium yesterday as well, so I’ve got options.

Yep, they'll pretty much host anywhere and this includes fake anemone's. I'm pretty sure one of the guy on here that breeds clowns uses fake anemone's along with clay pots in his breeding setup.

Back