Next Powerbuy

cameron

Market
Reaction score
I heard we aren't going to have one for July which is fine, but for August I would like to recommend Clams Direct (
a>).  After our recent clam wipeout, I figure at least a few people might be ready to restock a few and I know I would like one more in my tank.

drats... link is blocked at work... what would be the min tank size for a clam?

I'm still a bit nervous about keeping clams again, but I would probably give it a try since I love them so much. I also think the refractometers and pH meters would be a great powerbuy.

Clams can live in practically any size tank. They are dependant on light more than anything. If you have good PAR, a clam will pretty much go in your tank without issue regardless of size.

We will not be using any non sponsors for powerbuys. I will call our sponsors and see if I can work on the clams.

Unless other people are interested, don't do that on my account. I am mainly interested in a Clams Direct purchase as I know the quality of the clams. I don't want to repeat the incident that occured with the last clam buy.

Climbs on soap box...

On a personal note (and this is just my opinion only), I don't like that we have narrowed our powerbuys to just a few local companies. The club is comprised of members who pay annual dues and support the events with our time. I don't like that sponsers have this much influence on our group when it is our membership who flip the bill in most cases. I like and recommend many of our sponsers, but it does irritate me that we can't get an OceanMotions PB going for those who were really interested, a ClamsDirect PB from a company who has contributed to our forums or that a great PB like the AC units had to be grandfathered in.

off the soapbox.

I dont' get that site. They do not have alot of clams for sale yet them call themselves clamsdirect. Most of their stuff is sold and is still left on their site... Liveaquaria.com gets my money instead.

Clams direct is one of the few places that sells top quality clams and you can pick the one you want as opposed to whatever they send you. Clams are also screened and aren't fresh off the boat. I like liveaquaria.com, but it is just a different level of service from clamsdirect.com.

Cameron;53098 wrote:

Climbs on soap box...

On a personal note (and this is just my opinion only), I don't like that we have narrowed our powerbuys to just a few local companies.

off the soapbox.

This isn't a new policy.

Cameron;53098 wrote:
Climbs on soap box...

On a personal note (and this is just my opinion only), I don't like that we have narrowed our powerbuys to just a few local companies. The club is comprised of members who pay annual dues and support the events with our time. I don't like that sponsers have this much influence on our group when it is our membership who flip the bill in most cases. I like and recommend many of our sponsers, but it does irritate me that we can't get an OceanMotions PB going for those who were really interested, a ClamsDirect PB from a company who has contributed to our forums or that a great PB like the AC units had to be grandfathered in.

off the soapbox.

<span style="color: black;">To me it's not an issue of local sponsors having too much influence. The local sponsors extend discounts to our club therefore our club should honor that by making power buys exclusive to sponsors. In the long run I think this could pave the way for better discounts and power buys.</span>

Group buys that are none ARC sanctioned are still allowed if my memory serves me correctly.

Cameron;53089 wrote: Clams can live in practically any size tank. They are dependant on light more than anything. If you have good PAR, a clam will pretty much go in your tank without issue regardless of size.

Dont forget stability of salinity, calcium, and alk. These things will suck up the clacium and carbonate, so in a small tank that is not automated (or strictly maintained), these levels would surely fluctuate or stay undesireably low. I wouldnt recommend clams for a smaller tank, personally.

I think Barry is a great guy, but I will say his availability is pretty poor because of the demand. When he loads new clams on his site, they are usually gone in a day or two. Perhaps he would operate differently if something were arranged, but this seems a big stumbling block right off the bat.

I would like to get one more person on board to do the Oceans Motions Group Buy. I have collected the names of 4 or 5 people who tell me that they are ready. As far as who I can go thru to get the order placed ... whoever we want I assume... I dont have to "clear" it with anyone as it is an "informal" non ARC sponsored buy I think.
However that being said, Sam at AquaBuys is a seller of the OM units and is a great guy. He was trying to help out a while back when we were close to making the order. I would like to go thru him once we have enough (one more... anyone? )
:)

Personally i think we should have a powerbuy with someone who have inexpensive calcium reactors. I know at least 5 people that will be willing to get one.

theplatypus;53134 wrote: This isn't a new policy.
New as in started in the last couple months. I think it was the May or June BoD meeting that started this.

To me it's not an issue of local sponsors having too much influence. The local sponsors extend discounts to our club therefore our club should honor that by making power buys exclusive to sponsors. In the long run I think this could pave the way for better discounts and power buys.
I have more or less let go of the fact that we are turning down good sponsers that aren't local so we can keep the local sponsers happy so I don't think giving them more is necessary. They get advertising from a relatively captive audience and it doesn't cost most of the sponsers very much to do so. IMO we do as much or more for them already than they do for us. Consider at other forums such as reefcentral, they have to pay and in some cases quite a bit. I guess what I am saying is the sponsers effect PBs just seems odd to me.

Totally with Camaron on this one. Seen it with 2 other clubs and both ended not pretty with this policy but such is life. I'd be interested in clams with you Camaron if we want to do a "group buy" and not a "powerbuy".

Back