Night Feeding

curator

Market
Reaction score
<span style="color: black;">I'm wondering how many people feed their tanks at night. I have noticed that some of the corals that extend their tentacles at night can be coaxed during daytime feeding to do some extension, albeit not as much.</span>
<span style="color: black;"> </span>
<span style="color: black;">Thoughts on this?</span>
<span style="color: black;"> </span>
<span style="color: black;">John</span>

I should, I just don't because I am lazy at night. I bet all my LPS would grow alot faster if I did.

my Torch seems to curl up at night, are their other tentacles im not seeing?

The most notable tentacles are my micromussa, trumpet and fungia. The fungia will eat anything - anytime! It's my own fault it has grown ginormous!

My Sun Corals, Acans, An unknown coral, Acros, fungia, and candy cane all have night polyp/feeder tentacle extensions. They also come out usually a few hours before lights out. I feed phyto and cyclopeeze after lights out for them, and also feed the daytime feeder corals during the day. I have no idea if it helps or not, but it doesn't seem to hurt anything. I always assumed since they had their feeders out they were ready to be fed then.

Matt

Newb question, what do you feed them? I feed my fish and my fire shrimp and that is about it. All my corals have great polyp extention during the day (LE Tyree Soli, Blue Milli, an unknown coral, candy cane, bird's nest) should I be feeding and what?

I feed my corals at night at night. My chalice and acan corals put out their longer feeder tentacles after lights out.

Fish typically feed more at night than during the day so what you're seeing is very much the norm for most corals with tentacles. There's a couple of theories as to why... One is that it is simply safer for them to extend their lil tentacles at night when most of the reef fish that might prey on the tentacles are "sleeping". Another is that there is actually more food in the water as the various planktonic creatures that are also trying to avoid the mass of fish that are "sleeping" are now out and about. Could be some other reasons as well I'm missing... :)

Back