nitrate and nitrite

marienboy

Market
Reaction score
i have a new 75 gallon it onlty has sand and the fislter is running the nitrate is 0 and the nitrite is 0 is that oka

Here is a good link to an article on water chemistry. It's probably a little advanced for someone new to the hobby, but it is very thorough. If it's a little too much to wade through, focus first on pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Temperature and Salinity.

If you truly have an interest in the hobby I encourage you to explore the online magazine as there is a tremendous amount of good quality information that is highly vetted and usually based on scientific fact or at a minimum careful observation.

a>

What is the ammonia? If it's new and you're showing 0 nitrite and nitrate, then it likely hasn't cycled. I'd be very skeptical of 0 nitrates. 0's are good for established tanks, not new ones, there is no beneficial bacteria in there, and without rock, there's not much place to have bacteria either.

At this point you have no beneficial bacteria. You need some live or dead rock and you need to cycle the tank.

wetwebmedia.org

Use search terms like cycle</em> and new tank.</em>

Back