Nitrate and red algae

longboarder

Market
Reaction score
I have a new 75g that has been set up for about 3-4 weeks now. I used 110# of cured live rock, have a HOB skimmer, fuge with chaeto but nothing else, and canister filter, and one powerhead rated at about 750 gph if I recall correctly. The only livestock right now is snails and crabs. All 5 of my astreas died, but all the others appear fine. I had one blue chromis that seemed healthy but he took the leap of death onto the floor sometime in the wee hours last night and I never heard his cries for help. My water parameters have been coming back fairly good:
0 ammonia,
8.1 pH,
0 nitrite,
1.025 SG
temp 77-78
but nitrates have been a bit high (2.0...not 0.2),
and alkalinity is at 4.0 meq/l, a bit high.
I've noticed some pink/red algae (I think it's algae) growing on the aragonite lately.
Not sure what to make of the nitrate, red algae, and alkalinity. Looking for suggestions.
I've been doing 12 gal water changes each week and everything looks pretty good. All the snails and crabs plowed through the algae that was on the live rock when I put them in there, but now there isn't much algae except for the red stuff, and I kinda wonder if maybe the astreas just starved.

I would not think the astreas starved. Do you happen to have blue leg hermits? They are notorious for killing the astreas for their shells. The astreas cannot right themselves if turned over, and the hermits take advantage of the free meal.

I have two blue-leg hermit crabs...love those little dudes/dudettes. I don't think they could even fit in the astrea's shell, but maybe they are not very spatially perceptive. Then again, maybe they just wanted to eat them like you said.

johnr2604;230980 wrote: The red algea is likely Cyano bacteria not algea at all.
Is there something I can do about this? Last water change, I tried to vacuum as much as I could out of there, but two days later it was right back. Should I be taking more active measures, or just continue with regular water changes?

Longboarder;231101 wrote: I have two blue-leg hermit crabs...love those little dudes/dudettes. I don't think they could even fit in the astrea's shell, but maybe they are not very spatially perceptive. Then again, maybe they just wanted to eat them like you said.

You have electric blue legs, not the same as dwarf blue legs. The dwarfs are the snail killers more then the electric blues.

I agree your alk and nitrates aren't high. As far as Cyno goes, your best bet is to try and siphon it out.

Thanks,
Tim

One thing I would advise is to increase the water flow in the tank. Also, being a new tank it will take a little while to balance out, so keep up the water changes. It sounds like Cynobacteria, so you will be okay...as the tank establishes, diferent forms of algae will compete and with regular water changes, good water flow and solid parameters the tank will be good to go. Do not feed in excess and maybe drop your photoperiod down a little also...

You mentioned pink/red - that could aslo be coraline, which is good.

Maybe you can post a pic?

Can we get a pic of it and see, also you need a little more flow it there, i have 2 mj 1200 and a mj 600 in my 37 gallon

I bought a lawnmower blenny and all my red algae went away within 2 weeks.. Never to be seen again (crossing fingers).. Seriously, the one I have likes to munch on it, infact he like it so much he ate what would be a tennis court size worth of it if he was human...

Obelix brings up a good point also...other than proper filtration, skimming, water quality, flow etc etc....predation is another valuable factor in controlling algae. With that said, you may want to make sure your filtration system can handle the addition of some algae eating creatures - with the tank being so new, you need to get established biofilter first and slowly add livestock.

I really think increasing your flow is the first step, and you could start with a Maxi-Jet 1200 with an increased flow mod kit. I have 3 in my 55 gallon, which is on the high end. For a 75, you need to get the detrius moving and in the water column to be filtered out.

I wouldn't worry too much as that is normal in a new tank. Just syphon or scoop out with a net. Too much nutrients & low flow will breed cyno very quickly.

I have personally never seen a predator that will eat Cyano. Its a good idea to check you phophates because thats what it seems to thrive on. Its a common problem with a new setup and will likely go away on its own. Increasing flow and siphoning out helps sometimes. If it get real bad then you can shut down the lights for a few days and wrap the tank with something so no light gets in. I have seen alot of people have success with this method without effecting thier livestock.

How about some of that new fangeld cyno red slime remover oxidizer?

Chemically_Balanced;231196 wrote: I can tell you what not to do. :confused2:

OK, I was able to take and load some pictures. In response to an earlier question, yes I am using RO/DI water. I added some live sand to my refugium today, so that should help something, even if it does not help the cyano. Will probably add another powerhead as well. I repositioned the one in there to see if that would help.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
231309=13703-IMG_0295.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
231309=13703-IMG_0295.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_0295.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
231309=13704-IMG_0299.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
231309=13704-IMG_0299.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_0299.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

That's hardly anything at all. :)

Your tank is new, this is normal. Just try to siphon it out when you do water changes but it'll go away on its own as things get balanced out.

Back