Nitrate out of control

Reaction score
Hello yall, so tanks was doing quite well until i got a little carried away with the coral food and now nitrates got up to 40-50 ppm
To which all my acros polyp retracted.
PANIC MODE! I did a 40% water change which brought them down to 25-30 ppm
Acros seem to respond well to this, polyps are coming back out, no RTN thank go so far

My question is how fast can i do these water changes? Like 2-3 days in between? Anyone do this emergency nitrate removal exp?
Photo for attention

I would recommend smaller volume water changes, maybe 5% per day until the Nitrate comes down. If you have a refugium it might be time to clean it, rinse the macro off, clean the skimmer and stir the sand a little that way the skimmer can help you out.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

First thing I would recommend, "Don't panic ".
Second, 40 to 50ppm No3 is not the end of your coral.
Bring it down slowly will be best.
What I would be concerned with is an imbalance of your Po4

I recently had almost the exact same thing happened to me. I was on vacation and the tank got over fed. My NO3 was 50+ but my Po4 was .1. I lost one Acro and a couple monties got mad. Some of my other acros tips turned white. If anything I’ve learned not to do things too quickly and I Just did regular weekly maintenance and reduced feeding. It was cut in half by next week. Everything is back to normal. I did however add a couple xport blocks from Brightwell just to help prevent this from happening in the future.

Large water changes will drop the nitrate faster than several smaller ones will.
It's because of the division factor. A fraction of a fraction sort of thing.
This may fly in the face of the 'constant is best and small changes are next best' logic.
However, the math doesn't lie.

Large water changes will drop the nitrate faster than several smaller ones will.
It's because of the division factor. A fraction of a fraction sort of thing.
This may fly in the face of the 'constant is best and small changes are next best' logic.
However, the math doesn't lie.
I don't think those are inconsistent ideas. I think the recommendation of smaller, frequent water changes to bring down a level are rooted in the idea of not changing things too quickly. A 100% water change would eliminate the nitrate but that isn't ever suggested because we know such a rapid shift in parameters could do more harm than, in this case, elevated nitrates.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I agree, after the one big change already done I would go slow from here on out. Manage the feeding and continue to drop it over the next several weeks. Now that it's under 30 too many big changes back to back may have undesired consequences as more than just the organics are being changed.

What are your normal nutrient export methods?

I agree, after the one big change already done I would go slow from here on out. Manage the feeding and continue to drop it over the next several weeks. Now that it's under 30 too many big changes back to back may have undesired consequences as more than just the organics are being changed.

What are your normal nutrient export methods?

I have an 75 gallon system with 4 fish
90% acros
I have two large marine pure blocks that handle most of the nitrates
For phosphates just a refugium for algae growth, i was using gfo but it kept stripping the phos all way no matter how little i used so i stopped

Back