NitrAte testing morning vs. evening....WHAT!!!

jonboyb

Market
Reaction score
I've always done my testing (other than occasional pH testing in the morning) at night before lights out. THe past 2 days I've tested in the morning since I've been trying to decrease my NitrAtes (reads 10+ in the evening) and my morning NitrAtes are 5 or less??? Any reason this could possibly be happening?

Know Idea...wish mine was in that range....Mine is over 20 - 100% of the time..

5-10 is acceptable range. The Nano has such a small volume of water I think it would be really difficult to get down to near zero. I would'nt get into the habit of testing too much (maybe that is bad advice), but I would continue to test every now and then and mostly just observe your livestock and trust your gut. Your tank looks great. Just my 2 cents, will stand corrected someone has something offer on this subject.

Mine spiked to 20+ one day after running at 5 or less for months. PWC's didn't correct it either. GOt rid of my airstone skimmer for an oversized Remora and that brought it back down to an "acceptable" range for me. I have a tiny bioload too, and feed sparingly. My nitrAte issue has been so confusing for a couple months now.

I've never hit 0 in the nano, but I was shooting to get back to 5. THe skimmer is pretty much broken-in now and I have seen a gradual decrease in NitrAtes with no major PWC's. Apparently my skimmer was part of the issue. Hint hint Jamie....ditch the airstone...LOL

I will test my tank a little more with the stock skimmer and see if I can see a trend. I have less LR too. I have not had a 20+ spike yet that I know of. When I have tested, it has been during the day nitrate always read 10. I like the stock skimmer....but the air stone seems like it is going to be a PITA.

I still have a pack of stones....remind me next time we meet up and you can have them. I never plan on using them again:D

Back