Nitrates are at 50ppm. Why?

w_hartyjr

Market
Reaction score
Why in 4 weeks since last testing,have nitrates went from 2 up to 50. Nothing has been added or changed for 4 months(that was MH bulbs). I change 25 gallons of water every Sunday on a 160 gallon system. All other params are right where there suppose to be at. Any suggestions?

I would take to lfs to,test water. Not sure your testing kit is working correctly for that dramatic of a difference. Are all your livestock accounted for?

Was just checking that. The only thing I can't find is a 3" cleaner shrimp. Zoas were not opening like normal. That's why I decided to test

are you using an api klt? if so i think that may be your culprit. ive used them and if you dont shake the bottles well before using it can give you a false reading.

Picoreefguy;942878 wrote: are you using an api klt? if so i think that may be your culprit. ive used them and if you dont shake the bottles well before using it can give you a false reading.

That was my theory.... blown ;)

Red Sea, eh? Is it possible the reagent has expired? Check the box if you have it - they usually stamp an expiration date on the bottom of the box, or on the back.

Jenn

JennM;942887 wrote: That was my theory.... blown ;)

Red Sea, eh? Is it possible the reagent has expired? Check the box if you have it - they usually stamp an expiration date on the bottom of the box, or on the back.

Jenn

Ummm. Yea expired 09-13

we really need some standard to test our kits against for this hobby as a whole. seachem offers refrence fluids for their test kits and it would be nice if there were references fluids of known value for many different parameters readily available to buy so we could test our test kits. whose up to the challenge?

Picoreefguy;942896 wrote: we really need some standard to test our kits against for this hobby as a whole. seachem offers refrence fluids for their test kits and it would be nice if there were references fluids of known value for many different parameters readily available to buy so we could test our test kits. whose up to the challenge?

I would agree 100%. I getting tired of comparing colors of test results. There has to be something easier to read and understand. But obviously this one is on me due to the expired test kit

Picoreefguy;942896 wrote: we really need some standard to test our kits against for this hobby as a whole. seachem offers refrence fluids for their test kits and it would be nice if there were references fluids of known value for many different parameters readily available to buy so we could test our test kits. whose up to the challenge?
PicoReef:

The Fish Store is suppose to be getting a machine in test aquarium water. When they acquire the machine, you could always take a sample in for the Machine to test and then compare it to your last testing.

Wannabee

Just buy the Seachem tests ;) Each one comes with a reference. I've found them to be accurate and I've used the references to confirm or refute other tests' results.

It's possible that Willie's nitrates are still high... but an expired test kit gives a real reason to double-check that result before taking any drastic measures.

Jenn

JennM;942943 wrote: Just buy the Seachem tests ;) Each one comes with a reference. I've found them to be accurate and I've used the references to confirm or refute other tests' results.

It's possible that Willie's nitrates are still high... but an expired test kit gives a real reason to double-check that result before taking any drastic measures.

Jenn

ive got most of the seachem kits. but im saying there should be a reference fluid available to test other kits with. there are other kits that are reliable but we have no way of checking their accuracy and i doubt seahchem will just give away their reference for you to use with other kits.

True - I don't know of any vendor that just sells reference solution.

Back