(nitrogen?)Bubbles coming from substrate

dakota9

Market
Reaction score
On top of my recent lighting problems, combined with a powerhead that was releasing voltage into the tank, I've noticed these small (not micro-small as in turbulance) bubbles coming from my substrate which b-line verticlly through the water colume.
I think I remember that it could be nitrogen but uncertain, and think it's benefical, but again, uncertain.......

Any thoughts?

Yes and no...... It's deep, about 3", but its made of shells, tiny bi-valve mullosk shells. All the rage 20 years ago, kinda cool, but not used much anymore because of nitrite scare, of which I've not had a problem.....

Not that I can tell........

....... Wait a minute, was that a trick to get me to walk to my tank and bend down and sniff it?

Because that is what i did

LOL. I think he wanted you to see if the gas was sulfur based. It would smell of rotten eggs. It's probably nitrogen gas though, its a good thing.

FutureInterest;63297 wrote: LOL. I think he wanted you to see if the gas was sulfur based. It would smell of rotten eggs. It's probably nitrogen gas though, its a good thing.

ding ding ding

Most likely they are just accumulated microbubbles being released.

Its absolutely normal.

Have you increased your lighting period.

Don't worry as I said its normal.

Once again, I think Simon nailed it, as my tank was dark for almost 2 weeks when I upgraded to the metal halide, I've been uping the photo period a little everyday to acclimate my soft corals to the stronger light of the metal halide

Thank you guys!

Back